New owner of 05 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sourdeez

Reaction score
I just moved to CA a few weeks ago for work and quickly found out my car will not make it thru the roads I have to take for work.

Scoured craigslist and found a 2005 tahoe 4x4 with 75k on it, I was short on time and needed to pick it up so I did without checking it out much (didn't have a mechanic look at it or even run a car fax)

However it seems to be in great condition. Few cosmetic things but everything seems to run, sound and smell fine.

It was definitely lifted, and the owner I bought it from only owned it for 10k miles and basically was clueless to anything that was done to the truck

So my questions for you guys are just what I should be doing to identify any problems, where I work there is no cell service, gas station is 78 miles away.. so any problems I can avoid the better. I am looking into adding the 2nd battery. I also want to identify what suspension was upgraded and if anything was done incorrectly.

So any things I should look for, tips, suggestions, let me know!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

494l3bN.jpg

Last edited:

big_b_in_PA

Billy Badass
Reaction score
Depending on what part of California you're in, I'd suggest finding a reputable 4x4 shop, and have them give it a once over. They should be able to give you an idea what brand of suspension lift is on it and what the common things to look for that are lifted suspension related wear items. At the very least they would be able to let you know if it was built right or half assed together. Other than that, generally speaking, fluids, filters, u joints, steering components, ect, are all things that do wear out and need replacing over time. Also look into having a cb installed, or some other way to contact help if you're out of cell service and need a hand.

There's a few threads about adding a second battery over on the passenger side fender, and there's even a factory battery tray you can get to make it look stock (depending on what your tastes are).

I would have the diff fluids changed, transfer case fluid changed, test the coolant, have the water pump checked, trans fluid, if it's not clean already, have it and the filter changed, oil and filter as well.

That being said, nice looking ride!

OP
OP
S

Sourdeez

Reaction score
Depending on what part of California you're in, I'd suggest finding a reputable 4x4 shop, and have them give it a once over. They should be able to give you an idea what brand of suspension lift is on it and what the common things to look for that are lifted suspension related wear items. At the very least they would be able to let you know if it was built right or half assed together. Other than that, generally speaking, fluids, filters, u joints, steering components, ect, are all things that do wear out and need replacing over time. Also look into having a cb installed, or some other way to contact help if you're out of cell service and need a hand.

There's a few threads about adding a second battery over on the passenger side fender, and there's even a factory battery tray you can get to make it look stock (depending on what your tastes are).

I would have the diff fluids changed, transfer case fluid changed, test the coolant, have the water pump checked, trans fluid, if it's not clean already, have it and the filter changed, oil and filter as well.

That being said, nice looking ride!

Sounds good. From looking under it, the springs say fab tech. Shocks look stock though. Upon googling it looks like fabtech only makes a 6" lift. So it must be that kit

But yeah I am doing the basic stuff (filters, oil change)

Just mainly looking into problems that lifted hoes/yukons usually have like tie rod wear or something

And yeah cb radio isn't a bad idea. I'm getting a satellite phone soon for emergency

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mazer16