New Member -Alabama/2011 Tahoe/Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RVTSP21K

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New here from Alabama. Have a 2011 Tahoe Z71 (2wd). Starting to experience some electrical issues so google brought me here. I've had several GM vehicles (1993 GMC K1500 RCSB, 2007 Classic Silverado RCSB Z71, 2008 Tahoe LS, 2014 Silverado WT, 2016 Silverado crew cab Z71) but never had any of them long enough to have issues. I'm not unfamiliar with the LSx based engine platform as I have worked on many with and for friends.

Problems I'm encountering with the current Tahoe are intermittent black out of radio/nav and the service traction control & ABS light coming on and shutting right back off. It seems the general consensus is the "Big 3" (battery red & black cables and ground straps, etc.)

Anyhow, looking forward to learning more as I love the Tahoe as a family/grocery hauler.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard from NY!

If you haven't already, remove the terminals and hit those and the posts with a battery brush. Spray them all down with a good battery corrosion inhibitor and see if your symptoms improve.

And post some pics of your Tahoe now that you've joined the forum family!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I should have responded before about the problem. I was rushing through 23 threads on my list. Yes, what @Hoesgottaeat2 said and my nest question is, age of battery? When you remove the cables look for swollen spots under the insulation where would show corrosion build up adding resistance to the flow of juice.

OP
OP
R

RVTSP21K

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks! I will heed the advice. Battery is three years old or so. I’ll probably go ahead and change all the cables, battery, and alternator for good measure. My wife drives it mainly and I travel overseas for work a lot. Don’t want her to be stranded somewhere while I’m gone.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks! I will heed the advice. Battery is three years old or so. I’ll probably go ahead and change all the cables, battery, and alternator for good measure. My wife drives it mainly and I travel overseas for work a lot. Don’t want her to be stranded somewhere while I’m gone.
If you have the time, do the battery first then maybe the next weekend or two the cables. Alternators go bad but it's not common, they last a long time on these trucks.

Stick with GM OE parts, especially the alternator, buy once, cry once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e