New Lifter Club Member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is interesting that the service people claim they cannot offer extended warranty. If I’m not mistaken part of the 8k threshold and whether you get both or 1 bank of lifters replaced; or if repeat issue get a new engine; and or get extended warranty up to 100k… this is GM who have provided this info via tsb so why is the service desk saying they cannot offer extended warranty???

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, surprisingly enough the truck is done! Replaced all lifters and guides on the right side. Service said since it was fixed under warranty, they wouldn't offer me any additional coverage outside of the factory warranty. I'm not letting that one stay as is. Will be on the phone to GM tomorrow
Bummer about the whole thing. 250 miles with a collapsed lifter, huh? And they didn't put a cam in it? Yeah, get that warranty.

I'm amazed that they're repairing so many of these with just new lifters and trays, and not replacing the cam. Admittedly I don't know the condition of the lifters when they took them out, but if there is ANY damage to the lifter roller, the cam will likely have damage also that will manifest itself down the road.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer about the whole thing. 250 miles with a collapsed lifter, huh? And they didn't put a cam in it? Yeah, get that warranty.

I'm amazed that they're repairing so many of these with just new lifters and trays, and not replacing the cam. Admittedly I don't know the condition of the lifters when they took them out, but if there is ANY damage to the lifter roller, the cam will likely have damage also that will manifest itself down the road.
One of the things I did remember to discuss with my guy at the dealer regarding these early 2021 MY lifter issues was the cams. I asked him how many cams they had replaced and he said none. He said they inspect the cams, but in the cases they have delt with, the lifter failure is internal to the cylinder cutoff mechanism. He said the lifter appears to be "stuck" collapsed but otherwise everything else is normal. At least, that was his non-engineer observation.

I agree about asking for the warranty extension. He emphasized the customer had to ask for the 100K extension.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, surprisingly enough the truck is done! Replaced all lifters and guides on the right side. Service said since it was fixed under warranty, they wouldn't offer me any additional coverage outside of the factory warranty. I'm not letting that one stay as is. Will be on the phone to GM tomorrow
I see no reason why you would be entitled to an extended warranty. You received EXCELLENT service, the vehicle was repaired under warranty in record time, and you were inconvenienced for a minimal amount of time. It is certainly disappointing to have such a failure in a new vehicle, but I think you should be giving kudos to your dealer for doing a great job.

Vonderbach

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good luck, GM is prepared and they are complete assholes on the phone. Keep a record of time in the shop, once you pass 15 days cumulative you might consider legal counsel.

Vonderbach

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I see no reason why you would be entitled to an extended warranty. You received EXCELLENT service, the vehicle was repaired under warranty in record time, and you were inconvenienced for a minimal amount of time. It is certainly disappointing to have such a failure in a new vehicle, but I think you should be giving kudos to your dealer for doing a great job.
The fact that he still has an engine with 8 defective lifters is a MAJOR concern. The reason they replace only half the lifters is a calculated risk that the others will go bad once the warranty has expired. But nice of you to come to GMs rescue, I'm sure they appreciate the assistance.

OP
OP
Shrubs2K2

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact that he still has an engine with 8 defective lifters is a MAJOR concern. The reason they replace only half the lifters is a calculated risk that the others will go bad once the warranty has expired. But nice of you to come to GMs rescue, I'm sure they appreciate the assistance.
I'm not done yet in any way shape or form.

I'm keeping a running log on all details.

Playing phone tag with GM. Dealer asked for a review of my service and I told them. Now I have a VM from someone at the dealer but he only provided his first name and not his position so it will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off she goes....

Edit: Contacted GM. GM will authorize a rental up to $46 per day for me via Hertz and Enterprise. Problem here is I have to pay up front and submit to GM for reimbursement. Plus no rentals are that low now so they will "review" the additional charger to determine if they concur. Waiting for an e-mail with this in writing.

View attachment 355013
$46 a day sounds like 80's prices.

OP
OP
Shrubs2K2

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally was able to talk to GM and explained my side of the issue on this whole fiasco. Also let them know how I was treated by the service rep when I picked up the Yukon. She will work with the dealer and see what they can do. Not holding my breath on the results. She definitely was taking the "GM Party" line.

Also, the service manager never phone me back- Go Figure.

Stay tuned as the saga continues...

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update to add for those who may have been following my saga after my Yukon had lifted failure and left me stranded 400 miles from home: they reimbursed me 100% on my travel expenses and vehicle rentals to the tune of $2,250. I’m not in a fight with them to offer an extended powertain warranty. They denied my request today and offered 200k GMC rewards points. That didn’t work for me and I’m pushing back.

Hijack of this thread over. I thought it may be good though to share my reimbursement experience and they attempted to say the same crap about “$46 per day suggested rate of a car rental…” My daily rental cost was north of $60 per day for almost a month.