New Lifter Club Member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made it home on Saturday

Came out of the hollers of Kentucky by the Natural Bridge area. Jumped onto the Mountain Parkaway to take the quick way back to Ohio via 75. No sooner did I accelerate then the truck started "thunking" (Yep, technical term here!). It sounded along the likes of a u-joint going bad. No engine codes and but the thunking remained for 250 miles until we got it home to the garage. There was no rhyme or reason as to the cause as it wasn't reproducable in different speeds or accelerations. Since it's an 11/20 build with 9800 miles now, I was positive we would be stranded on the road via the GM lifter saga.

Once everything was unloaded, I started the truck. It started right up and no codes (Guessing as no check engine light). But (A big BUT), there's a very noticeable tapping from the engine. Very thankful we made it home.

Cancelling our travel plans for Monday and will call the local dealer when they first open up or I may just drive it over.

Tried to start it AM to take it to the dealership and the bells and light show was (not) impressive and it sounded like a tank. Waiting for a tow now.

OP
OP
Shrubs2K2

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off she goes....

Edit: Contacted GM. GM will authorize a rental up to $46 per day for me via Hertz and Enterprise. Problem here is I have to pay up front and submit to GM for reimbursement. Plus no rentals are that low now so they will "review" the additional charger to determine if they concur. Waiting for an e-mail with this in writing.

20211108_100505.jpg

Last edited:

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off she goes....

Edit: Contacted GM. GM will authorize a rental up to $46 per day for me via Hertz and Enterprise. Problem here is I have to pay up front and submit to GM for reimbursement. Plus no rentals are that low now so they will "review" the additional charger to determine if they concur. Waiting for an e-mail with this in writing.

View attachment 355013
Call GM,new policy is 100% reimbursement on rentals.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM played the same game with me after my Yukon Denali left me stranded at 400 miles away from home. Only one-way rental was a Uhaul and then rented a pick-up for the better part of a month. With the hotel, Uhaul and extended rental I was in for over $2k in expenses. They’ve dragged their feet on reimbursing me for going on 6 weeks now saying weekly that “due to the high expense of my reimbursement request they require additional review and approval.”

I’m absolutely furious right now over this as I had no choice on the first part of expense getting stranded on a Sunday night, then no one-way car rentals. Then the latter portion of trying to find ANYTHING bigger than a Hyundai Elantra to rent for almost a month. If I didn’t like this vehicle so much and didn’t have so many family members employed by GM, I’d consult an attorney and be done with the whole g*damn mess. Good luck to you. I’m getting the absolute run-around from them.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
H
GM played the same game with me after my Yukon Denali left me stranded at 400 miles away from home. Only one-way rental was a Uhaul and then rented a pick-up for the better part of a month. With the hotel, Uhaul and extended rental I was in for over $2k in expenses. They’ve dragged their feet on reimbursing me for going on 6 weeks now saying weekly that “due to the high expense of my reimbursement request they require additional review and approval.”

I’m absolutely furious right now over this as I had no choice on the first part of expense getting stranded on a Sunday night, then no one-way car rentals. Then the latter portion of trying to find ANYTHING bigger than a Hyundai Elantra to rent for almost a month. If I didn’t like this vehicle so much and didn’t have so many family members employed by GM, I’d consult an attorney and be done with the whole g*damn mess. Good luck to you. I’m getting the absolute run-around from them.
Hoping they don't take that long to reimburse us. Just rented a vehicle yesterday, and for the estimated time of 2 weeks, it was $3,300.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made it home on Saturday

Came out of the hollers of Kentucky by the Natural Bridge area. Jumped onto the Mountain Parkaway to take the quick way back to Ohio via 75. No sooner did I accelerate then the truck started "thunking" (Yep, technical term here!). It sounded along the likes of a u-joint going bad. No engine codes and but the thunking remained for 250 miles until we got it home to the garage. There was no rhyme or reason as to the cause as it wasn't reproducable in different speeds or accelerations. Since it's an 11/20 build with 9800 miles now, I was positive we would be stranded on the road via the GM lifter saga.

Once everything was unloaded, I started the truck. It started right up and no codes (Guessing as no check engine light). But (A big BUT), there's a very noticeable tapping from the engine. Very thankful we made it home.

Cancelling our travel plans for Monday and will call the local dealer when they first open up or I may just drive it over.

Tried to start it AM to take it to the dealership and the bells and light show was (not) impressive and it sounded like a tank. Waiting for a tow now.
I'm rooting for ya. Hopefully the 250 miles with the motor clanking took it out and they'll put in a whole new one instead of farting around with parts here and there.

OP
OP
Shrubs2K2

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, surprisingly enough the truck is done! Replaced all lifters and guides on the right side. Service said since it was fixed under warranty, they wouldn't offer me any additional coverage outside of the factory warranty. I'm not letting that one stay as is. Will be on the phone to GM tomorrow

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, surprisingly enough the truck is done! Replaced all lifters and guides on the right side. Service said since it was fixed under warranty, they wouldn't offer me any additional coverage outside of the factory warranty. I'm not letting that one stay as is. Will be on the phone to GM tomorrow
Damn, is that some sort of record! Hope that’s a sign of parts-availability, while also I’m horrified to think of the amount of expertise and “muscle-memory” they must be developing with the frequency at which they’re completing these repairs. Glad your rig is back in your possession.

Let me know what GM Corp says when you call them about an extended warranty. Also the number you call and with whom you talked about this. I feel like their e-mail response service must be farmed-out as I get the same canned “we’re working to get this resolved and completely appreciate your frustration…” Yeah, save me the b*ll$ht and reimburse me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission