New Here - Tires + Brakes 2016 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MVR 155

Reaction score
The standard factory brakes are horrible. On my old 2016 Denali I only got 16,000 miles out of the first set of front pads and rotors. By the time I got rid of it at 36,000 miles it needed another set (and the second set had the "heavy duty" GM pads.

I'm sorry but you must drive like a lunatic just punishing your brakes. I'm at 49K on my 2015 Denali and I have ~50% of my pad material left. I'm a car enthusiast who likes to drive spirited (also own a 2018 Audi S6 and 2002 Corvette Z06) so my driving style isn't exactly subtle. I also realize the Denali isn't a performance car or track weapon so I don't treat it like it is. I drive to Colorado yearly through the mountains, tow a trailer occasionally and deal with Chicagoland traffic so my brakes see their fair share. You gotta be pounding the tar out of your vehicle to be killing brakes inside of 20K intervals.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then you have something wrong with your brakes, live on a high corrosion area, or drive like a maniac. I’ve never seen factory brakes last only 16k miles.
I probably do drive harder than most and I drive all city with most trips between 1 and 10 miles. And live in a road salt mecca. My rotors were badly warped as well.

tjfish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am on my 5th Denali. On each one, I changed the tires immediatly for Michelin LTX. I have had as much as 80K miles on them without needing new tires. My current Denali had the original Bridgestonees, which now have 20K and need to be replaced soon. As far as brakes go, I have never replaced them on any of my 5 Denali's. For the person with the Audi. I had a Audi Q7 that produced a ton of brake dust due to their soft pad material. I switched to ceramic pad and new rotors. Significantly less brake dust and great performance for the past 40K miles. Best Wishes and Happy Holidays.

Hrocks

Reaction score
To the OP...

I've had a number of Tahoe's, Yukon's and an Escalade...not to mention virtually all of the Trailblazer variants. My experience in tires and brakes has been pretty consistent. The various versions of the Michelin tires have always been the quietest and smoothest riding tires, but never gave me the wear that the Alenza's have. I have found that the B'stone Alenza has had the best combination of wear and performance in the rain and snow. I took the Michelins off my GX 460 and replaced them with Alenzas as well. In Ohio, we typically get great tire wear on all of our vehicles...not uncommon to get 50-60,000 depending on the truck. I've been buying tires at Costco, as they offer free lifetime rotations and balance them every time. And they fill them with nitrogen, so you maintain constant air pressure as the tire gets hot.

As far as brakes, for normal or trailering usage, I've been a big fan of Performance Friction pads. Not cheap, less than OE, but far better than OE. Even better when they get warm. And they're easy on rotors. Stay away from drilled boy racer rotors. They seriously compromise the structural integrity of the rotors and are often lipstick on China crap rotors.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on my 5th Denali. On each one, I changed the tires immediatly for Michelin LTX. I have had as much as 80K miles on them without needing new tires. My current Denali had the original Bridgestonees, which now have 20K and need to be replaced soon. As far as brakes go, I have never replaced them on any of my 5 Denali's. For the person with the Audi. I had a Audi Q7 that produced a ton of brake dust due to their soft pad material. I switched to ceramic pad and new rotors. Significantly less brake dust and great performance for the past 40K miles. Best Wishes and Happy Holidays.
I don't think that I've EVER had a set (or at least rear) tires last more than 20K miles. I agree that good aftermarket brakes rock!

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but you must drive like a lunatic just punishing your brakes. I'm at 49K on my 2015 Denali and I have ~50% of my pad material left. I'm a car enthusiast who likes to drive spirited (also own a 2018 Audi S6 and 2002 Corvette Z06) so my driving style isn't exactly subtle. I also realize the Denali isn't a performance car or track weapon so I don't treat it like it is. I drive to Colorado yearly through the mountains, tow a trailer occasionally and deal with Chicagoland traffic so my brakes see their fair share. You gotta be pounding the tar out of your vehicle to be killing brakes inside of 20K intervals.
Geez... Lunatic is a bit rough buddy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700