New Here - Just picked up a 2007 Yukon XL Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jonnyj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I fully believe the 1200, and I am going to bet that unless their are check engine lights, or some other light hes not telling us about....

You mentioned northern states.. Which northern state?

Some northern communist states will fail a vehicle for rust is why I ask.

Would love to see some pics.
I say Northern States but I'm just across the border in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Typically here, as long as the rockers and frame aren't rotted, the glass is good, brakes meet a certain specification, all the lights work and no check engine (I'm not 100% sure if the check engine is a requirement) it should pass inspection.

I say 120k but being in Canada it's in kilometres (sitting at 194k km which works out to just over 120k miles)

The service history is pretty extensive and includes regular transmission fluid and filter changes every 60k km (37k miles), has had the power steering pump and hoses changed, exhaust manifold, wheel bearings, transmission cooler lines, belt tensioner, brake master cylinder, wiring (doesn't specify what wiring) - at a quick glance, all over the last 11 years.

Last edited:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds really, really bad. I will take you out of it for the $1200 you spent and come pick it up, knowing full well the years of work I have before me to make it right.... :)

Yes, incredible score.

On a more serious note, you want to check and see if they upgraded the Valve Cover on the drivers side. It is a known issue with oil consumption. You might want to pull a few plugs (start with #7, drivers side closest to firewall) and see how they look. If they look like something out of the movie Alien, definitely pop that valve cover off and see if it is the updated version.

Also consider one of the many ways to turn off AFM.

Have fun, good luck.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds really, really bad. I will take you out of it for the $1200 you spent and come pick it up, knowing full well the years of work I have before me to make it right.... :)

Yes, incredible score.

On a more serious note, you want to check and see if they upgraded the Valve Cover on the drivers side. It is a known issue with oil consumption. You might want to pull a few plugs (start with #7, drivers side closest to firewall) and see how they look. If they look like something out of the movie Alien, definitely pop that valve cover off and see if it is the updated version.

Have fun, good luck.
At least you are first in line now with a $ offer in case he throws his hands up and "To hell with this crap!"

OP
OP
J

jonnyj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Yes, incredible score.

Have fun, good luck.
Good to know.

Also for buying parts for this truck, would rockauto still be a good choice? It's what I use for my other vehicles.

Any particular brand of AFM dis abler recommended? I read if I have lifter damage then I should certainly go with the AFM delete kit, is this information correct?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know.

Also for buying parts for this truck, would rockauto still be a good choice? It's what I use for my other vehicles.

Any particular brand of AFM dis abler recommended? I read if I have lifter damage then I should certainly go with the AFM delete kit, is this information correct?
Yes Rockauto is GTG.

I think the least expensive way to go on an AFM disabler is to have a tuner turn it off. They take the ECM, update it and return it to you. There is a guy referenced many times here who does it mail order for $50.

The Range AFM disabler works well, the only downside is if you have to get emissions tested, you will have to remove it and drive around some to get your monitors set and all that time AFM is engaging and disengaging, after having been disabled for a significant period of time. Some of us think that is a very bad idea. I sold my range device because of those concerns. The next step up in cost is a Diablo Predator, will turn it off and do a few other handy things, but not very cost effective. The most expensive and probably worth it is a Black Bear Tune. With that, I think you get what you pay for, just like the guy turning it off with your ECU sent to him.

I think doing an AFM Delete if you had lifter issues anyway is probably a good choice. Although, a simple replacement of OE lifters and the updated VLOM, likely would give you an engine that would run trouble free for as long as anyone might own it, once the new stuff was installed. There are lots of threads on this subject. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jonnyj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes Rockauto is GTG.

I think the least expensive way to go on an AFM disabler is to have a tuner turn it off. They take the ECM, update it and return it to you. There is a guy referenced many times here who does it mail order for $50.

The Range AFM disabler works well, the only downside is if you have to get emissions tested, you will have to remove it and drive around some to get your monitors set and all that time AFM is engaging and disengaging, after having been disabled for a significant period of time. Some of us think that is a very bad idea. I sold my range device because of those concerns. The next step up in cost is a Diablo Predator, will turn it off and do a few other handy things, but not very cost effective. The most expensive and probably worth it is a Black Bear Tune. With that, I think you get what you pay for, just like the guy turning it off with your ECU sent to him.

I think doing an AFM Delete if you had lifter issues anyway is probably a good choice. Although, a simple replacement of OE lifters and the updated VLOM, likely would give you an engine that would run trouble free for as long as anyone might own it, once the new stuff was installed. There are lots of threads on this subject. :)

Thanks a lot I appreciate the info! I'm excited to get the truck back this weekend. They're doing the Quarter panel I'm going to take care of the small bit of surface rust. I'll post pics once it's complete!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr

Latest posts