New here “04 Tahoe Z71”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Umbinc6714

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello I’m new to this page. I recently picked up a higher mileage 04 tahoe z71. I have a very loud chirping noise from 0-30mph it doesn’t do it in reverse or when sitting still. Sounds like it’s coming from the front. Abs light is on. Is there a common issue with these that could give me an idea of where to start?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 Z71 too. Just turned 200k recently. Runs great and I love it!

Just FYI... About 3-4 weeks ago, I got an ABS light on. Code was for right front ABS speed sensor. There were two other codes stored in history. All three related to the right front ABS speed sensor signal being missing, erratic or weak. The hub had been OK when two mechanics look at it in October and there weren't nay obvious signs of failure.

I figured, OK... I'll get to that speed sensor in the next few weeks. No rush. I had already replaced a bad sensor on the left and that cured my previous ABS light coming on at highway speed only. Whatever, nothing major.

So I thought! My right front hub failed about a week later.

Not looking freak you out or paint doom and gloom for you here. Just want you to be aware, that an ABS code really can be something related to the hub having too much slop in it, which is just before it fails. Don't just go replacing a sensor without giving the hubs a thorough inspection! Almost all new hubs come with new sensors anyway.

Here was my recent post on that experience...
The link below is good. The preview shows something unrelated in the thread...

oldchev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been searching the forums here for similar issue.
I have a 2004 Yukon Denali (268k mi) and with increased frequency the ABS and service stability messages come on. The actual action has been (besides the alarm) the ABS light, Traction control light, sometimes accompanied by loss of starting acceleration (maybe 2-4 seconds) and the sound of the ABS control module changing brake pressures. Most commonly this occurs while turning either right or left, leading me to believe its in the front. Has not rained and this issue has been intermittent for last 3-4 years.
Due for a front end rebuild in about 2 weeks which includes new Timken hubs. No, I don't have a body control reader, just a good OBD2 reader. I can see engine codes.

Rusty inductor wheels or sensor?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been searching the forums here for similar issue.
I have a 2004 Yukon Denali (268k mi) and with increased frequency the ABS and service stability messages come on. The actual action has been (besides the alarm) the ABS light, Traction control light, sometimes accompanied by loss of starting acceleration (maybe 2-4 seconds) and the sound of the ABS control module changing brake pressures. Most commonly this occurs while turning either right or left, leading me to believe its in the front. Has not rained and this issue has been intermittent for last 3-4 years.
Due for a front end rebuild in about 2 weeks which includes new Timken hubs. No, I don't have a body control reader, just a good OBD2 reader. I can see engine codes.

Rusty inductor wheels or sensor?
Can you see any ABS codes stored in the system?
Even though my ABS light/chimes only came on while on the highway, then shut off... My Zurich scanner (with ABS functions) from Harbor Freight was able to see Left Front ABS Speed Sensor codes that were kept by the computer. On that scanner (possibly others too), it was found under a sub-menu that was named "GM OEM Enhanced". There was a whole bunch of error codes form my ABS sensor there.

Were new sensors included with the Timken hubs or were old ones swapped over?
If so, maybe a shim needs to be added or removed from the speed sensor.
If the sensors are new ones already on the hubs, disregard...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14