New front struts question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
justchecking

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
just put your vin number in here and search for what you need
or call ANY gm dealer parts department and give them the last 8 of your vin and they can tell you need as well, if one does not provide the part number hang up and call a different one, some are dicks
I used the link above which confirmed strut ACDELCO part number 19420492 and then checked with my local dealer. Don't know why I was so confused. The paperwork that came with the struts seems to indicate lifetime guarantee. I was also able to buy OEM springs, one of which was the out of stock one but a dealer had one in inventory. When I pull the old struts I will check the bearings, bushings, etc and just buy those if needed. Have to wait until my daughter is home from college in a week though in case I find I have to order and wait for a part (so I can drive her Malibu). Took a few minutes to figure out how to take off the connector to check ends. I will post my results after the swap.
IMG_0293.jpgIMG_0294.jpg

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What will new springs do specifically for the ride quality? Will it make it stiffer?

Not stiffer but less crashy and more composed. It also raised my ride height 3/4" and it has yet to sag down as some people said would happen within weeks (I noticed the ride height being off after I lowered it and the front was quite a bit lower than it should have been with 2" drop knuckles).

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, the reason I'm asking is I have a 2012 LT with standard struts and shocks. I replaced most of the front and which included AC Delco OEM struts but I didn't replace the springs and I put Bilstein 4600s shocks on the rear but did not replace the springs. I have the comfort ride, premium Comfort ride but the ride is not premium comfort. Comfort. When I'm over 30 or so miles per hour. It's a pretty harsh ride over bumps and potholes. I'm trying to research people's experience to see if changing out the springs will help with this.

salisburyv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My right front shock let go, fluid leaking. I'm really having a hard time finding stock replacement quick struts. My guy found 1 in the country he says. I also know that piecing it out will about double the price (additional labor). every source i get too has some sort of exception for this or that. I have the "dumb" suspension i've been told. No air ride. No magnets. No little mice on wheels in the engine bay. I just want some f'n factory replacements. didn't know it'd be so hard to find.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you need to replace everything? Just replace the shocks.

OP
OP
justchecking

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I finished replacing my front shocks and springs at 120,000 miles. First, thanks to all who helped straighten me out on which shocks and springs I needed. I did this because I could feel a sort of rebound in the front end when going over a sharp bump. Kind of like this blue Bump Before shock replacement line on the plot. I felt the same thing in our old Pathfinder at 150,000 miles and replacing the shocks eliminated the rebound. The front end feels much better now, more like the red Bump After shock replacement line.
Bump.jpg
I think there was definitely something wrong with one of the shocks, probably the right one. When I disassembled the struts they came apart internally. The left one gushed about 6-8 oz of black iron oil making a big mess. The right one only leaked 2-3 oz of foamy yellow oil. You would think they would have to match so something was up.
I replaced both shocks (GM 19420492) and both springs (GM 20842474 Left and GM 20842473 Right). Knowing what I know now, if I had to do it over again I would probably just buy all new components (strut bellows, bearing, insulator) and build my own strut. But there was a ring (like a washer) that went on the shock below the bearing which I have not seen on any parts lists and did not come on the new strut - so I don't know what I'd do there.
So maybe I would just buy two of the Dorman 949-650 struts which were just on sale on Amazon for $368 each. That would really simplify things as disassembling the old struts took the most time and made the most mess. They also have a lifetime warranty.
Dorman.jpg
Dorman lists these as a compatible replacement for the GM 20842473 Right spring so if I had too much lean to the left I would experiment with a lean correcting spacer something like this.
1660852045606.png

I did measure the before and after sit of the vehicle and also the spring rate of the new springs. I will post that next after I collect my thoughts.

OP
OP
justchecking

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So I measured the sit of the vehicle both before and after the strut/spring replacement. The GM 20842473 right spring for my vehicle (RPO code 7D5) is still commonly available but the GM 20842474 Left spring (RPO Code 6D6) is no longer available. I did find one on Ebay a few months back still in stock at a dealer so I was able to buy one.
GM spring series typically go up in spring rate by increasing series number. So the GM 20842474 Left spring for my vehicle is stronger than the GM 20842473 Right spring to account for the driver and fuel typically being on the left side (of my vehicle). I also have a probably 50-75LB battery and my tool box and sub (together about 75LB) are on the left side, so total about 200LB me and 150LB other stuff on the left side.
I wanted to see if the trouble i went through to get both new springs was worth it (and if I had the correct springs) so I MacGyvered a measurement set up using my Sherline Trailer Hitch scale and the weight of the vehicle. I measured each spring twice to make sure I was somewhat accurate.
IMG_0677.jpg
New Springs.jpg
You can see the left spring 20842474 IS stronger than the right spring 20842473. My scale maxed out at 2000LBs so that is as high as I could go.
Next I will collect my thoughts and post the before and after sit measurements.

OP
OP
justchecking

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So, GM for certain trucks specifies that less than or equal to 12mm (0.47in) left lean is in spec. Some trucks under warranty will have the left spring replaced with a stronger spring (higher series number) under warranty if the left lean exceeds 12mm. See MC-10166646-9999 Spring Adjustment for more info.
My before and after measurements were:
Before and After.jpg
The left lean difference in my vehicle between front and back could be due to uneven measurement surface or because I just got rear ended pretty good. But let's hope it is uneven measurement surface. The front of my vehicle came up a little bit, which I think is inconsequential. My best bang for the buck was new shocks, I have Z55 suspension with electronic shocks.
Overall I am quite happy with the result. I don't think I will have to do this again while I own the vehicle but if I do I think I will try the Dorman 949-650 and experiment with lean correction (or lift).
I posted a LOT so correct any of my data or assumptions if you find errors. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is mine about 1500 miles after installation:
1660854474643.png
Our front specs are nearly identical it seems!

Great posts you made, never knew there was such a thing as a lean spacer. Interesting that your left and right springs are different, they are the same on my two trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01