New brakes for 'ol Black Betty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Arkle

Reaction score
My project for the weekend was to put some new brakes on my '97 'hoe so I don't go playing bumper cars every time I wanna stop.

Took all the wheels off and removed the drum from the back so all the pads could be checked front and rear. Found that the fronts were nearly into the metal on the pad from the FR. Also found a leaking line at the RR.
Ran out and bought some house brand pads from the local O'Reilly's for the front and a new line that needed to be bent. Bent the new line to shape and put the pads on and after a half hour of trying to bleed the brakes managed to get them to do what they needed to do. Bled them a second time this morning and everything works fine in the stoppage department. Next weekend might be the radiator, and I might try and take some pictures.

Was a fun project and I'm glad I can stop!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if you have time to spare. ask about a job you want to do as there are some very good alternative parts to use in various system that will improve over stock build.

OP
OP
The Arkle

The Arkle

Reaction score
if you have time to spare. ask about a job you want to do as there are some very good alternative parts to use in various system that will improve over stock build.

The radiator water tank thing on the side with the oil cooler is the part that is cracked. They sell a replacement for the stock, but I wouldn't know if it seals right or if it'd be easier to replace the whole radiator. I might go with the repair kit because its half as expensive. Your thoughts?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
replace it as a whole piece. while you can get new side tanks and cores it is not always convenient or cost effective to find a shop just for that repair by itself. a new one would also be clean inside and out.

OP
OP
The Arkle

The Arkle

Reaction score
replace it as a whole piece. while you can get new side tanks and cores it is not always convenient or cost effective to find a shop just for that repair by itself. a new one would also be clean inside and out.

Makes sense. I don't plan on taking it to a shop but if I buy that replacement tank and it doesn't seal then I've got worse problems. When I start this project though I'll make a thread for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinoTahoe