New body old body fixup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys I've had my 05 yukon xl denali for about 8 months now and I love it. I bought it with the intention of fixing it up and keeping it forever. I'm about to rebuild the motor so thats no issue its thr body I'm wondering. Its got rust on it and I'm not sure I can fix it myself and I'm pretty sure it would cost too much to fully remove it and seal it. Is it a better idea to find a body with a blown motor and then use mine as the donor vehicle? Or fix thr body? I know some of yall will say you can stick a million into it and do whatever you want but I don't have a million I just have a dream. Qhich is the better route?fix the body or new body swap?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its rocker rust ive seen yt vids on how to cut out and replace them, if you can weld it dont seem like a really bad job. part that might suck th emost is you need to take both doors off on each side if doing full rockers, if you dont have a garage it would suck to tarp it up when not working on it.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hey guys I've had my 05 yukon xl denali for about 8 months now and I love it. I bought it with the intention of fixing it up and keeping it forever. I'm about to rebuild the motor so thats no issue its thr body I'm wondering. Its got rust on it and I'm not sure I can fix it myself and I'm pretty sure it would cost too much to fully remove it and seal it. Is it a better idea to find a body with a blown motor and then use mine as the donor vehicle? Or fix thr body? I know some of yall will say you can stick a million into it and do whatever you want but I don't have a million I just have a dream. Qhich is the better route?fix the body or new body swap?
If I had to choose between your options--In my opinion it's much cheaper to fix a motor then it is to fix a rotted body--or body work. So if it was me I'd buy a vehicle with a blown motor or trans with a good body. Even one with a ratty interior wouldn't be a bad job. How's your interior?

TeleTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If I had to choose between your options--In my opinion it's much cheaper to fix a motor then it is to fix a rotted body--or body work. So if it was me I'd buy a vehicle with a blown motor or trans with a good body. Even one with a ratty interior wouldn't be a bad job. How's your interior?
I agree with Tonyrodz, if you have not yet rebuilt the motor on your current ride, it may be better and certainly cheaper in the long run to maybe sell your current ride and look for a clean bodied southern or western vehicle with a clean body and frame. Even if you have to transport it back north it would be worth it. I live in Texas and we have tons of clean bodied options going from anywhere from $1500-5000 depending on the mileage and condition.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
How bad is the rust?

We bought our ‘07 back in 2014 with rust holes already forming in the fenders (I should have fixed it then!). Last summer I finally ground away all the rust using a couple 3M abrasive discs (made some major holes) and applied rust converter/sealer to the areas. Simply put fender flares over the nasty fenders and it looks great now.

The doors have a few holes as well which I did the same process and simply used Bondo on it (I don’t have a welder) and I’ll be spraying the lower part of the doors with Rubberized undercoating to match the front end.

I believe I have deterred the rust on the body for quite some time with this simple method.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tonyrodz, if you have not yet rebuilt the motor on your current ride, it may be better and certainly cheaper in the long run to maybe sell your current ride and look for a clean bodied southern or western vehicle with a clean body and frame. Even if you have to transport it back north it would be worth it. I live in Texas and we have tons of clean bodied options going from anywhere from $1500-5000 depending on the mileage and condition.

Glenn,
Are flood trucks something a guy needs to be on the look out for in TX? In the past they would be “repaired “ and find their way up North.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
How bad is the rust?

We bought our ‘07 back in 2014 with rust holes already forming in the fenders (I should have fixed it then!). Last summer I finally ground away all the rust using a couple 3M abrasive discs (made some major holes) and applied rust converter/sealer to the areas. Simply put fender flares over the nasty fenders and it looks great now.

The doors have a few holes as well which I did the same process and simply used Bondo on it (I don’t have a welder) and I’ll be spraying the lower part of the doors with Rubberized undercoating to match the front end.

I believe I have deterred the rust on the body for quite some time with this simple method.
Sometimes it's easier to just replace bolt on parts--fenders, doors, hood etc instead of fixing them.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Yeah, but much more expensive. I’m all about budget fixes, haha! I think just one fender is $400 for a Capa certified. I think I was looking at $2000 for 4 doors and the front 2 fenders. The auto body shop quoted me a ridiculous price of $7000 a couple of years ago.

I think I will have spent $500 (including the fender flares) after all is said and done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645