New '23 LS bare bones&and some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This buzzing happened when I shut the tailgate. The tailgate was already open and when I shut it, I heard a buzzing. I don't think it's a fuel pump now. The Tahoe doesn't have ride height air bags adjust, so it can't be that.... Or does it? It's a barebone LS, so I don't think there is a ride height adjust unless it was mistakenly installed and there is no knobs on the dash. I guess I need to look underneath, but I have no idea what it should and shouldn't look like. This is a boggle moment for me now.
Even tho it’s an ls does it have automatic tailgate? As in push a button and it opens and closes? If not it could seriously just be the electronic lock closing/latching the tailgate.

OP
OP
thegrunter

thegrunter

Reaction score
I took the Tahoe in for a Transmission fluid change at 600 miles. This is a precaution service after my '21 Blazer was Lemon Lawed because the tranny broke. The tranny was manufactured with too much lube on the parts and that lube caused slippage in the torque converter. I have been driving manual transmission cars for the most part and thought the 9 Speed Blazer tranny was acting "Normal" when it really wasn't. When I got the new tranny before they took it back via Lemon Law, I noticed it drove much better. So, I got the Tahoe in exchange for the Blazer plus $20K cash and just thought doing a fluid change after 500 miles would be a good preventive maintenance. I noticed the 10 speed shifting in the middle gears seemed a bit wonky up and down and just thought it was "Normal". After the fluid change, this tranny is humming perfectly and there is no wonkyness going on. Highly recommend all new trannys get that fluid swapped out sooner than later. I was surprised the cost of this change fluid and "filter". A bit over $500. I don't recall my old 74 Camaro having a transmission fluid filter that is outside the transmission, so I don't know if this filter is external or internal.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the Tahoe in for a Transmission fluid change at 600 miles. This is a precaution service after my '21 Blazer was Lemon Lawed because the tranny broke. The tranny was manufactured with too much lube on the parts and that lube caused slippage in the torque converter. I have been driving manual transmission cars for the most part and thought the 9 Speed Blazer tranny was acting "Normal" when it really wasn't. When I got the new tranny before they took it back via Lemon Law, I noticed it drove much better. So, I got the Tahoe in exchange for the Blazer plus $20K cash and just thought doing a fluid change after 500 miles would be a good preventive maintenance. I noticed the 10 speed shifting in the middle gears seemed a bit wonky up and down and just thought it was "Normal". After the fluid change, this tranny is humming perfectly and there is no wonkyness going on. Highly recommend all new trannys get that fluid swapped out sooner than later. I was surprised the cost of this change fluid and "filter". A bit over $500. I don't recall my old 74 Camaro having a transmission fluid filter that is outside the transmission, so I don't know if this filter is external or internal.
Filter usually in the pan. Usually a fluid/filter change is a drop the pan, swap the filter, new gasket, reattach, and refill...

My transmission has been buttery smooth since day one. So smooth, in fact, that I'd say its the best automatic I've ever owned.

Maintenance schedule calls for 95k miles standard use, 42.5 miles "severe" use, so your change at 0.6k is definitely on the early side...but new fluid is never bad. I tow often, will change mine at around 35-40k...

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission filter is internal - you can see it in this video around the 2:10 mark -

OP
OP
thegrunter

thegrunter

Reaction score
Transmission filter is internal - you can see it in this video around the 2:10 mark -
ahhh.... thanks for the video. Removing the pan makes it more expensive. I'm glad they did that because if there is any grease from the assembly, it would drain to the pan and just replacing the fluid doesn't get the grease in the pan that can taint the fluid. Time will tell if that $500 was a good investment and if the tech did clean out the pan.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MSRP on that filter is close to $100. You can find it cheaper elsewhere, but if you had this done at the dealer they likely charged you full MSRP. Dexron ULV is close to $10/qt so you have over $100 in fluid. At least an hour of tech time to drain, clean, refill, bring up to temp and top off, etc. and you have the one-time use filter bolts - all said I think $400-$500 is going to be the going rate at any dealer for this service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900