New 2018 4WD Owner - Suspension Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stupladge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum, new to Tahoe and have a brand spanker RST with the 6.2 V8.

I'm looking at doing a few mods included are exhaust, brembo brake kit (potentially), 24" wheels and then some sort of suspension mod. I have the wheels already and shall be installing next week and am waiting on quotes for the other stuff but wanted some advice on the suspension side.

1. Opinions on lowered Tahoes on 24s?
2. As its a 4WD i'm told 2/3 is the max lowering which is fine but now i'm second guessing its worthwhile, why have a 4WD then reduce clearance by that much? thoughts?
3. Should I just use a levelling kit and reduce the rear by 2" and call it a day.

I would really appreciate your input guys.

Thanks

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that it’s kinda pointless to lower a 4WD SUV and eliminating decent clearance. But then again this is your ride. I live where it usually snows for 4 months out of the year! So I need ground clearance and you couldn’t pay me to drop my Denali. But you may not live in snow or need ground clearance. So it’s up to you on what makes the most sense given what you’re gonna be using your tahoe for!

camaroz2887

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
I think those choices are some of the first most people consider. The stock rims are alright but that stance is a little to raked from the factory.
The 24s will look good but at that Size wheel you’ll be feelin the lack of sidewalls.
As for the drop/lift I thought of it in several different areas.( I also want to do a small drop on my 4x4) first the drop alone won’t adversely affect gas mileage (oversized rims could change that slightly). Second clearance as Bigbeard pointed out, will you see snow? Mud on a job site, or obstacles off roading?. Third, Do you plan on spitting mud and rocks all over those nice rims and paint and not really care? (Really hard to bring myself to that lol) and finally are you gonna be a lifted road queen that looks good but never sees the mud? Kinda ties in with #3.

Personally I’d rather have slightly less wind resistance and lower center of gravity on a truck with 3.08 rear gears that I don’t wanna change out for oversized tires. Especially considering This black granite metallic paint. I cringe at doing any real muffin.... lmao mudding (thanks iPhone spell check) in this truck.

zcarczar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I lowered and debadged my 6.2 RST, looks a lot better IMO. I did the 2/4" drop, I got the 4wd because I'll be flat towing it behind a motorhome and occasionally going snowboarding or pulling a boat out of a launch ramp. Let's face it, you aren't going to do hard core off roading in a $75k Tahoe.

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
I want to lower mine too.. also 4x4. Waiting for some reputable installers to emerge. I don't have time to mess with doing it myself. I had the brake kit installed by the dealer. I'm really happy with the improved stopping performance, especially on the highway, or when I'm towing. I've thought of the doing the exhaust, but I'd want to ride in one with it first.

zcarczar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed the magnaflow catback, it does have a little bit of drone to it on the highway and you get some weird noises when AFM kicks on. But it sure sounds good when you're on it and driving around town. I haven't heard the Borla GM setup yet but I would imagine its quieter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645