Need some help troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would suspect that Idle Air Control Valve, like @exp500 said. Remove and inspect inside the throttle body port where the valve pintle would move. Should be a clean smooth surface that is tapered. Can be clean with carb cleaner and a small brush. I would inspect the pintle shaft/spring area for filth and replace if needed or at least attempt to clean. Is there any CEL's?

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure sounds like it's starving for fuel. Do you have the gauge hooked to it when it dies? You say it maintains fuel pressure, what pressure?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a Spark tester? Test at Dist and at coil. Report findings.Should be bright white and hit flawlessly every time,no skipped sparks.
It sounds like truck sat 6 months or more so Distributor cap is now suspect. Use Delco/Delphi/United DCR -820x only.
If no spark, I will recommend other tests.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fuel pressure gauge would also help. One Known problem on these is oil pressure switch failure. One way it fails is no or always power to fuel pump. Switch is hot at all times. 12volt +. Check fuel pump relay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645