Need new shocks - best recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The KYB Gas-A-Just shocks (KG5040) I got for the fronts on my ZW7 suspension are great. The performance improvement in my truck is very noticeable compared to the OE shocks that went 106K miles, especially over speed bumps and when I pull into the driveway. Faster recovery.
My Nivomats had around 250-260k on them when I took them off, and they were still working great. I couldn't even compress them by hand.

Askold_JB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does that mean that the Autoride springs are the same as the Premium Smooth Ride springs?

Sorry for confusing. I thought TS has Z55 - Autoride truck.
If I get everything right - ZW7 is more like Z71, but Z71 Moog analog is 81069, and ZW7 is 81071. They are pretty same sets, but 81069 is 1" higher.

texas1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got the Bilstein 4600's, been riding on them for about 2 weeks now. The driving experience is so much better. The old worn out shocks made the truck feel like it was going to fall off the road.

OP
OP
U

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Long time no talk! Man its been a crazy year so far.

To recap... so if I have this right.
With my RPO code ZW7 that had self leveling rear suspension.
I need to make sure I have the shorter rear springs if i replace with regular shocks of my choice correct?
I dont want to keep the factory self leveling spring with aftermarket shocks yes?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hey guys. Long time no talk! Man its been a crazy year so far.

To recap... so if I have this right.
With my RPO code ZW7 that had self leveling rear suspension.
I need to make sure I have the shorter rear springs if i replace with regular shocks of my choice correct?
I dont want to keep the factory self leveling spring with aftermarket shocks yes?
Correct. Guys who swap from the ZW7 seem to go to Z71 rear springs. ZW7 rear springs are too soft for standard shocks. I made that mistake. The rear swayed side to side at highway speeds. Pretty scary.

OP
OP
U

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Decided to go with the Bilsteins all around.

Wow. What a difference for sure!
Pretty impressed

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Decided to go with the Bilsteins all around.

Wow. What a difference for sure!
Pretty impressed
Thank you for getting back to the folks on the Forum here regarding your purchase decision. It is great to read that you are happy with your Bilsteins.

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a question my 03 denali the compressor finally gave out and i found out the hard way when i had to tow my trailer with another car on it the back sat pretty low. I wanted to ask if the Bilsteins are good replacements for stock height and lowering cause I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna drop her but i know i don't wanna stay with the autoride at this point.

Colby_e32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i have a question my 03 denali the compressor finally gave out and i found out the hard way when i had to tow my trailer with another car on it the back sat pretty low. I wanted to ask if the Bilsteins are good replacements for stock height and lowering cause I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna drop her but i know i don't wanna stay with the autoride at this point.

The 4600 bilstein will give a great ride, lowered, or stock. The 5100's are more of an offroad/heavy duty shock.

I will suggest if you do lower your truck and use bilstein 4600's pickup a set of shock extenders, as when you lower them, you will not have the correct travel needed.

hope this helps. thanks

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you get rid of the autoride, then you will need to change the rear springs to a non-autoride spec, as the autoride springs are softer, and you won't have the air to assist them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz