Need new shocks - best recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I see that ZW7 RPO code that is a self leveling rear system and as I look thru all the options at RA, it only lists this as an option for the rear: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1298060&cc=1440055&jsn=955

Not saying there isn't something else out there but I don't see it listed at RA. I know that some guys here eliminate that system and use different rear springs and standard rear shocks of some sort to bypass all that but I cannot pretend to know all about that like others will.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did bilsteins on my 2000 Tahoe. Solid choice eliminated the “boat” like feeling

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think I did see where the Bilstein shocks are used, unsure which part #, and that the rear springs are Moog part #81069, like is used in the Z71 package. Again, this is not an absolute choice but it seems I remember where I saw that in a thread.

Askold_JB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Tahoe had original Autoride shocks at the front, and GM shocks from Hummer at the rear when I bought it.
Previous owner tried to switch car from Autoride to Z71, but did it wrong (even coils were original - too soft without pneumatic).

Now I replaced front with KYB Gas-A-Just KG5040 and rear with KYB Gas-A-Just KG54341. These series Rockauto recognized as Increased Handling/Performance group of goods.
Really happy with that choice, especially about the front.
Hummer shocks at the end was good enough, but I lost one (loosen bolt, it just felt on the road literally - boom - and became L-shaped).
So I needed new pair and pick same KYB series.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure if you've done anything on this yet, @UmmScott, but since the truck came with the ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride the OE rear shocks were self-leveling Nivomat style. If the PO installed standard shocks back there and didn't change the springs, then that could be an issue. Your problem may be trying to figure out if the springs were changed. Here is the Bilstein pick for the rear of a 2000 Yukon (I didn't look at Yukon XL; not sure what you have):

upload_2021-1-14_23-31-11.png

Incidentally, you should be able to use any standard (good quality) shock on the rear if the springs have been changed to the stiffer Z71 type.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My Tahoe had original Autoride shocks at the front, and GM shocks from Hummer at the rear when I bought it.
Previous owner tried to switch car from Autoride to Z71, but did it wrong (even coils were original - too soft without pneumatic).

Now I replaced front with KYB Gas-A-Just KG5040 and rear with KYB Gas-A-Just KG54341. These series Rockauto recognized as Increased Handling/Performance group of goods.
Really happy with that choice, especially about the front.
Hummer shocks at the end was good enough, but I lost one (loosen bolt, it just felt on the road literally - boom - and became L-shaped).
So I needed new pair and pick same KYB series.

I already did the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on my rig and I will be doing the rear springs, Moog 81069, when I do the rear sway bar kits that are on order. I like the new KYB shocks a lot.

Askold_JB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, as well mentioned by @Fless - you better check what coils you have at the rear.
Original Autoride coil is left - 16mm bar diam, and it is higher - because of it is softer.
Z71 coil is 17mm bar and shorter but harder.

4c4bab6s-960.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, as well mentioned by @Fless - you better check what coils you have at the rear.
Original Autoride coil is left - 16mm bar diam, and it is higher - because of it is softer.
Z71 coil is 17mm bar and shorter but harder.

4c4bab6s-960.jpg

Does that mean that the Autoride springs are the same as the Premium Smooth Ride springs?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I already did the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on my rig and I will be doing the rear springs, Moog 81069, when I do the rear sway bar kits that are on order. I like the new KYB shocks a lot.

The KYB Gas-A-Just shocks (KG5040) I got for the fronts on my ZW7 suspension are great. The performance improvement in my truck is very noticeable compared to the OE shocks that went 106K miles, especially over speed bumps and when I pull into the driveway. Faster recovery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900