Need new 6.2 L86 Engine...but indefinite backorder???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

poofyo101

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
coolant is leaking into the block because the steel piston sleeve isn't sealing properly.
according to tech

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a good machine shop, and have them put new piston liners in, plane the deck, multi angle the heads, and replace the cam bearings, then have a engine shop build it out for you. With new piston liners, you can put in stock size pistons, just a matter of the crank at that point.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look towards reputable companys like Texas Speed, LME, Thompson Motor Sports, etc. Sounds like you are going to do the work yourself so all you really need is a short block.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My previous dealer would have put some GM cooling system sealer tabs in it and called it fixed. Hope you get a better result!

Reaction score
I have to imagine there is some sort of priority labeling with where GM is sending new motors these days. My 2023 Yukon Denali blew two rod bearings at 3600 miles - exactly a month to the day from when we picked it up from the dealer. I figured months for a new motor but they had mine shipped and installed in just over 4 weeks. Maybe worth noting we did pay cash for our vehicle. Maybe GM has less of an incentive to repair a leased / financed vehicle?

Good luck tracking down a suitable replacement. Seems rebuild could definitely save you some wait time here

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

davebarky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You could probably save a lot of money by buying a good used engine from a reputable used auto parts place like LKQ. They typically offer good warranties on lower mileage units.Car-part.com is another good place to look. I just put a 95,000 mile engine in my 2012 Yukon XL Denali, cost me $3500. I upgraded to a non AFM 6.0 out of a 2014 Silverado 2500. Tuned the computer for the mew engine, runs like a champ on regular gas.