Need help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, all the 5.3L had AFM starting the 2007 model year. Mine is a 5.3L 2007 ands has it.
I don't even know, never verified what does and does not but I keep seeing post's saying it started 2009, then I find this post :shrug:
"They introduced it in 2007 with the gmt900 trucks. The 5.3 and 6.0 had afm. The 4.3, 4.8, and 6.2 did not".

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't even know, never verified what does and does not but I keep seeing post's saying it started 2009, then I find this post :shrug:
"They introduced it in 2007 with the gmt900 trucks. The 5.3 and 6.0 had afm. The 4.3, 4.8, and 6.2 did not".

I think the 5.3L all had AFM (mine LMG, definitely did). The Denali's (6.2) came later. I think the only 6.0 that got it was the Hybrid. But all of that is from what I have read here, so, YMMV... :)

OP
OP
MalcDogg

MalcDogg

Reaction score
I think this is a duplicate thread. It is going to get very confusing very fast unless a mod deletes one.

On the problem at hand, are you getting a #1 misfire code (P0301) on a scan tool?

When you say the valve isn't moving, what do you mean? Did you pull the valve cover and see one of the #1 rockers not going up and down?

So I ended up putting some fuel cleaner and catalyst cleaner in it so far everything is working fine now

But I still have the issue with the my engine light and fog light and cruise control not illuminating on the dash
Scan tool says MIL indicator code
Any help with that

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I ended up putting some fuel cleaner and catalyst cleaner in it so far everything is working fine now

But I still have the issue with the my engine light and fog light and cruise control not illuminating on the dash
Scan tool says MIL indicator code
Any help with that

MIL relates to the fact that the yellow/orange engine light on the dash is/was illuminated, normally referred to as your Check Engine Light. Does your scan tool display any other codes other than “MIL”.

It can occur that something like a misfire will set a code and the CEL and even when you fix the condition that set the code, like you fixed the number 1 misfire, the CEL and the code that set it, won’t reset, even when cleared by your scan tool, until the Monitors in the PCM have some driving conditions met with no further codes being thrown. That is, you may have to drive it so the PCM resets the permanent code.

Just a wild guess. I have no idea what effect the fuel cleaner and catalyst cleaner might have on a hard #1 misfire.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen conflicting info on this, like that some engines had afm but it wasn't turned on, that it didn't start until 09, the hybrids had it first or something etc, etc

GMT900 SUVs equipped with the 5.3 all had AFM from the beginning. As for 6.0 motors used in the GMT900 SUVs, the Hybrid motors had it as did the L76 too. The 6.0s in the 2500s did not.

OP
OP
MalcDogg

MalcDogg

Reaction score
MIL relates to the fact that the yellow/orange engine light on the dash is/was illuminated, normally referred to as your Check Engine Light. Does your scan tool display any other codes other than “MIL”.

It can occur that something like a misfire will set a code and the CEL and even when you fix the condition that set the code, like you fixed the number 1 misfire, the CEL and the code that set it, won’t reset, even when cleared by your scan tool, until the Monitors in the PCM have some driving conditions met with no further codes being thrown. That is, you may have to drive it so the PCM resets the permanent code.

Just a wild guess. I have no idea what effect the fuel cleaner and catalyst cleaner might have on a hard #1 misfire.

so the MIL code I’m having I was having before the the misfire

I was installing my headliner and the battery died when I jumped started that’s when I notice when I turn the key on the engine light didn’t come on and some other lights as well I changed the odometer thinking that the bulbs was burned out even with the new cluster still nothing I also noticed that the rearview mirror it’s working either
I looked a few options one said change the alternator but that’s working fine I’m lost

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the MIL code I’m having I was having before the the misfire

I was installing my headliner and the battery died when I jumped started that’s when I notice when I turn the key on the engine light didn’t come on and some other lights as well I changed the odometer thinking that the bulbs was burned out even with the new cluster still nothing I also noticed that the rearview mirror it’s working either
I looked a few options one said change the alternator but that’s working fine I’m lost

That makes two of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whit2285

Latest posts