Need help with new head unit and rear speakers not working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snow_vipr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe with the Bose sound system and had Best Buy install a new Pioneer AVH-2550NEX and back up camera. When I picked it up the tech told me the rear left door speaker didn't work and the right rear door speaker sound was low/bad on its way out. So I bought and installed Infinity Reference REF-6532IX in the rear doors and don't get no sound. Took it back to Best Buy to have them look at it and they rescheduled me a 3 hour trouble shoot appointment, said all the wire connections were good and would have to either by pass the factory amp or maybe run new speaker wires. So I not sure what to do I been looking on the forums here and Ive came across running a jump wire from a pink wire to blue amp/antenna power on/off wire not sure if that is the fix or not. I don't know if it is just as easy to replace Bose sound system with a new amp or not sure what all is needed to do so or maybe a small amp to power read door speakers?
Thank in advance.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Just to clarify for other members in this Forum, though:

You initially kept the Bose system and Bose speakers in place, but changed only the head unit.

The installation was performed by Best Buy Techs.

Initially, the front speakers worked fine, and the rear right speaker worked, but sounded bad, and the left rear speaker did not work at all.

You replaced the Bose rear speakers with Infinity speakers, and after the replacement, neither Infinity rear speaker worked at all.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sometimes the amp can go bad and loose some channels, you might try to pickup a used amp off ebay usually there are many for pretty cheap
you just have to make sure you get the same amp part number as what you have already and it is plug-n-play no programming or anything needed.

**this is presuming the headunit was installed correctly with the correct adapters and that nothing is set on the RSE control (if equipped) that would turn the rear speakers off, for instance if the rear control is on a/v input or etc, it may turn off the rear speakers, there has also been reports of the rse control going bad and making the rear speakers not work

OP
OP
S

snow_vipr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe with the Bose sound system and had Best Buy install a new Pioneer AVH-2550NEX and back up camera. When I picked it up the tech told me the rear left door speaker didn't work and the right rear door speaker sound was low/bad on its way out. So I bought and installed in the rear doors and don't get no sound. Took it back to Best Buy to have them look at it and they rescheduled me a 3 hour trouble shoot appointment, said all the wire connections were good and would have to either by pass the factory amp or maybe run new speaker wires. So I not sure what to do I been looking on the forums here and Ive came across running a jump wire from a pink wire to blue amp/antenna power on/off wire not sure if that is the fix or not. I don't know if it is just as easy to replace Bose sound system with a new amp or not sure what all is needed to do so or maybe a small amp to power read door speakers?
Thank in advance.
Update I got sick of Best Buy giving me the run around and had a local car audio installer look at why I wasn't getting and rear sound out of the new Infinity rear door speakers. Here Best Buy installed a plug into the wrong plug in on the PAC unit, the installer simply unplugged and re-plugged into right port on the PAC interface module and works great other then low sounding I'm thinking of the Bose factory amp isn't powerful enough to power the new Infinity speakers. So my new dilemma is to replace front speakers with Infinity Reference REF-6530 Component speakers and wondering what is a good 5 Channel amp to power all 4 infinity speakers and to power the factory sub woofer. I know I will have to splice into the factory amp wire harness which I'm not to sure of what to do exactly.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great to read that your initial issue has been resolved, and thank you for that.

If you are running your Infinity speakers directly off the Bose amp, you will in all probability have a mismatch in speaker impedance versus the impedance that the amp is typically run on. Bose speakers impedance can be anywhere from one and a half to two and a half ohms for their door and post speakers, while most aftermarket most door and post speakers are four ohms. If nothing else, it will reduce the amount of potential power that the Bose amp can drive into the speakers, because the speakers the Infinity speaker impedance is about twice as high as what it was building for.

I have not looked at the impedance of the Bose subwoofer is, but other folks on this Forum will know.

OP
OP
S

snow_vipr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ive came to the conclusion that the factory Bose amp is shorting out right rear door speaker works sometimes and then times you can barely hear it, also the right rear D pillar speaker has like a buzzing like cricket chirp from it and will be replacing them eventually. But Im wondering what kind of amp you replace with the Bose factory amp? I would like to keep it in the center console but not sure what sizing is and or what amp to put in it.
Thanks in advance.

ccole

Reaction score
Upgrading the Bose amp isn't super straight forward. It is but you wouldn't want to use any of the existing wiring. Were the issues you're experiencing happening before the Pioneer AVH-2550NEX upgrade?

Do you know if the infinity speakers in the rear are the correct impedance. If I recall correctly they are either 1.6ohm or 2ohm. You might want to look at CDT Speakers 2 ohm offerings. I'm running a 3-way active front with 8", 3.5", and tweeter. The HAT L8SE get 200 and both the L3SE & L1R2 Pro tweeters get 100 each. Amp's and DSP are Mosconi being fed from a factory deck. I run the CDT 2 ohm coax drivers in my rear doors and they keep up with my front stage off the Bose Amplifier.

I would recommend purchasing an Amp to power the front door speakers and tweeters then using the power from the Pioneer AVH-2550NEX to push the rear door speakers. You may have to run speaker wire to the rear doors but, you'll get far more bang for the buck. There are also tons of great 4/5/6-channel class-d amps that would allow you to power everything. Class-D amps seem to be getting smaller and smaller everyday. Mounting a small but powerful Class-D upfront also helps simplify the install and allows wiring runs to be super short.

Power depends on the speakers but 75 watts of clean power is more than most will use. Heck the Pioneer you bought outputs 14 watt per channel and that is an upgrade. The Mosconi's are run can get expensive but there are plenty others. NVX, ARC Audio, Helix, Audison or any of the big name brands Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, Etc.

If you do decide to upgrade the speakers you will want to budget a minimum of $300 for sound deadening in the doors especially if you add amplification.