Need help troubleshooting clicking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, So for the past couple weeks my yukon has been making a funky noise, I have been listening and searching since then trying to figure it out.
I thought I narrowed it down to U joints, but I replaced them this weekend and it still makes noise. So onto the info.

2004 Yukon XL sle 5.3L 2wd.
The noise as best I can describe is kind of a airy thin metal clicking/clanking almost more of a ticking sound. It is definitely coming from the rear of the truck, It only makes this noise under acceleration. As soon as I let off the gas it goes away. Also it doesn't make the noise in neutral when I rev it. It has to be in gear. When I am driving it almost sounds like an exhaust leak, but when Im in the parking garage I can really hear it, which is a clicking/ticking sound.

HOWEVER Today it turned into more of a squeak and tick sound... I can tell its getting worse, I am noticing it more and more. I have checked all of my fluids and they are good.

Anyone that can point me in a direction of items that could possibly even make a noise like that would be awesome. Thanks everyone.

Wilbah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You said it is only when you are moving but is it speed related? Meaning does it get louder or so the "clicks" get closer together the faster you go? I am wondering if its a wear piece on your rear brake pads. If your wheel studs are torqued differently (or just bent somewhat) you might have some warpage that is causing the wear clips on the brake pad to hit the rotor some of the time (once per rotation or something). It would then get "closer together" the faster you drive and lessen as you slow down. It might also be something in the diff but I would check the pads first.

OP
OP
YukonXL04

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, Thanks for the reply, I thought of this as well, but it only makes it under throttle, but yes the sound gets faster as I speed up. but while moving as soon as i let off the gas it goes away.

Its driving me nuts... lol

Wilbah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh okay gotcha....and you've checked that the calipers are tight, e-brake is okay etc.? (you have 4 wheel disc brakes right?- just not sure with 2WD) then I would be looking at the ring and pinion (given that you have already done the U-Joints). One side (the side that engages the pinion or the side of the pinion that "gets engaged" under power) may have cracks or missing tooth/teeth that are making the sound when engaged (under power) but when coasting the ring and pinion "disengage" to a degree (not completely disengage I realize) to where the sound stops.

You are sure this is coming from the rear of the vehicle right? I would have suggested looking at the CV joints. Some times its hard to discern front v. back when you are the one driving the vehicle. You might have a friend sit in the back seat with their head out the window looking directly to the side (one ear pointed front, one ear pointed back) they may be able to discern more easily the front v. the back. Then have them switch sides and do the same thing to see if its louder on one side versus the other.

Good luck!

OP
OP
YukonXL04

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I havent pulled the wheels yet. I think I will pull them and check all the brakes and bearings and check for noise at each wheel tonight. I am 90% certain its coming from the rear. I have had a my wife and a friend both ride with me and listening, its definitely more noticeable on the passenger side, it really seems to be under the rear seat area, which is why I thought u joints.

On the ring and pinion, all the ones I have heard usually make a distinct clunk sound, like steel on steel.

I will check all 4 wheels first, if that comes up with nothing I will pull the diff cover and check it out.

Again thanks alot for the help. Just trying to get some ideas of where to look.

Wilbah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good luck! It may well be something completely different I don't know. Always hard to diagnose something that only happens with the vehicle moving! ha!

OP
OP
YukonXL04

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well ended up being the front u joint at the tranny.... Swore it wasn't that when I replaced the rear u joint... However I was wrong haha. So happy to have finally fixed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz