Need Help Locating Part: Rear Leaf Spring Frame Hanger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FrameHangerBracketforLeafSpring_zpsc1655920.gif

99 4WD Tahoe at stock height and I just discovered that my driver side leaf spring rear frame hanger has rusted through on the outside. The entire bracket is thin from corrosion but I managed to make a temporary patch/brace out of 1/8" steel plate that I welded in.

Big surprise, discontinued by GM. Looking around and calling a bunch of spring shops, no one has a clear listing for the 99 4WD Tahoe. The shops that show dimensions of the hanger brackets they are selling don't match with what I've measured on the Tahoe.

So, has anyone else had to replace those rear frame hangers with stock replacement style pieces, if so, where did you find them? If this wasn't my daily driver, I'd love to take that side apart and make new brackets from scratch, but I can't pull that off right now.

Thanks in advance for any leads.

Last edited:

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because this is your DD be very careful and try to fix it ASAP , as you probably already know this is highly unsafe, I would make your best bet to go to a junk yard and drill out the rivets and replace

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say the best bet is to get rid of the truck at this point, the salt and moisture rotted a spring frame hanger, that's not a small piece of metal, you probably have frame rot elsewhere and just haven't realized it yet.

OP
OP
TahoeJim

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those rear hangers are the only rotted pieces, everything else is solid as I put the truck up on a hoist and spent well over an hour combing every square inch from front bumper mounts to rear bumper mounts after taking a wire brush and knocking off the flaking paint and dirt on every single bracket, cross members, etc. that looked slightly suspicious.

Talking to one supplier, he commented before I could that it's a relatively crappy design in that the factory bracket is "cupped" on the bottom and without a drain hole so salt and muck can just sit in the bottom of that hanger and eat away at it and after 14 years, the salt won.

Anyway, I did find the brackets and am replacing both, along with shackles and fasteners. I'll then start working on cleaning off the old flaking paint and scale on the rest of the frame and paint it, POR15 or similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo