1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help deciding on level and tires

Discussion in 'Lifted Supension - Z71 & 4x4' started by phaley99, Sep 15, 2020.

1. phaley99

phaley99 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Patrick
    I just purchased a 2011 Z71 Tahoe that’s totally stock. I’m wanting to level it and throw some tires on but have no idea what fits and which level to buy. From what I’ve read I can maybe do a 2” level and 285/70r18 tires.
    I’m really wondering about a 2” vs a 3” level and different size tires that I could fit with each.

any and all help is appreciated

2. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Welcome Patrick! You can get the Rough Country 2" spacers that go under the shocks to take care of that and should be able to run those tires on your stock wheels without trimming. Pete @Galante has near the same setup with 17 inch wheels on his 2013 Tahoe.

Take any photos of it yet?

Sam Harris and GreyStone like this.
  3. Drok

Drok Full Access Member

Name:
    Derek
    I had a supreme suspension level 2.5f/1.5r with 33s with very minor rubbing cause of the aggressive tread design.

im pretty sure 2.5 is max in front without additional parts for lift.

Sam Harris and GreyStone like this.
  4. 09_4WD_YUKON

09_4WD_YUKON Full Access Member

Name:
    Gary
    Sam Harris likes this.
  5. 2010gmcyukon

2010gmcyukon Full Access Member

Name:
    B
    Dustin Jackson likes this.
  6. Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson Full Access Member

Name:
    Dustin
    @2010gmcyukon For a 1 inch lift in the rear you shouldn't need a shock extender.

@09_4WD_YUKON I have a question about the spring insulators, when you installed your rear spacer did you use 3 insulators or did you just use 2?

2010gmcyukon likes this.
  7. Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia Supporting Member

Name:
    Joseph
    Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

Regarding your questions, I offer the following:

What is your total budget for lifting/leveling parts, wheels, and tires? Having a firm budget will make the rest of the decisions and associated trade-offs easier.

What is your intended use of this truck, and what surface do you do most of your driving on? This will help determine the best and most cost effective tire selection for you to consider, unless the 'look' of the wheel/tire combination is your major objective.

Regarding wheel/tire combinations that will fit your truck without rubbing, no 2 trucks and their suspensions are exactly alike, due to a number of factors including accumulated wear on the suspension components, so there is no guarantee that what fits with no rubbing on one truck will automatically fit with no rubbing on your truck. Other folks experiences can guide you in one direction or another, but the final test will be when you mount the wheel/tire combination on your own truck.

To assist you in getting a good idea on whether or not specific alternate wheel/tire combinations 'may' fit your truck with no rubbing, I recommend that you use the wheel/tire comparison app at the URL listed below. You can use this app starting with your existing wheel/tire combination as a benchmark, assuming that there are currently no rubbing issues with it, and measure the actual critical fender and suspension component clearances as directed by this app. Then, you can enter alternate wheel/tire combinations, and this app will give you the projected changes in these critical fender and suspension component clearances.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I used this app for determining whether on not I could use my current alternate wheel/tire combination, and it accurately projected the changes in critical clearances. Again, the use of this app in not an absolute guarantee that an alternate wheel/tire combination will fit without rubbing, but it provides a much better assessment, or projection, than simply an educated guess on your part, or a statement from others that it worked on a truck other than yours.

Sam Harris and 2010gmcyukon like this.
  8. 09_4WD_YUKON

09_4WD_YUKON Full Access Member

Name:
    Gary
    No, I just put the kit in. rides just as good as before.

@09_4WD_YUKON I have a question about the spring insulators, when you installed your rear spacer did you use 3 insulators or did you just use 2?

Honestly, I really don't remember.

2010gmcyukon likes this.
  9. phaley99

phaley99 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Patrick
    Thanks for all the feedback and help. Unfortunately my truck was flooded during hurricane sally as I live on the gulf coast. I had the truck for a grand total of 5 days.
    I think I found another z71 one though so if I purchase it I’ll probably go with the 2in and 285/70 KO2s.

Sam Harris likes this.