Need Advice on brake parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
I have an 06 Silverado which needs new brakes. The truck spent most of its life life up north and has significant rust issues. The fellow who inspected the brakes says the brake lines and other parts are so rusted they may break or be damaged when removing them. He suggested I replace "everything." I don't know what he means by "everything." Can you who live where rust is an issue help me out? I'd like to know what rust damaged brake parts typically should be replaced. Thanks!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in MA, where rust is everywhere.

Biggest favor you can do for yourself long-term, if you are planning on keeping a while...
Replace the rigid steel brake lines with stainless steel lines.

I was lucky. The PO had them done on mine long before I bought it last October.

If calipers are in good shape, you might see about keeping them.

I had to go with in-stock and cheap, when I needed brakes ASAP for my 04 Tahoe.
But when I had my 05 Jeep, I put a set of NAPA Ultra-Premium polymer coated rotors on all four corners.
I ran the Jeep through three of our salt-spewed winters and the polymer coating kept the entire rotor looking like it just came out of the box. They were not the cheapest of the product line, but I am sure the polymer rotors would have lasted me through multiple rounds of pad replacements. HIGHLY recommend! Would definitely get for my next set again.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Thanks! The brake shop specifically mentioned how rusted the brake lines are. Can you give me some idea of any other parts, apart from rotors and calipers, may be rusted out and need to replaced? It's not that I don't trust the brake shop, its that I don't know them and have no confidence that I can trust them!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If original and you need stainless hard lines, probably good idea to get replacement soft lines. It would just be a matter of time before something blows out.

List is almost at "everything".
Still would want to be sure calipers are required, but goin this far... May not be a bad time to do it.

Not my money, so easy for me to speak.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the price is nowadays, but about 4 years ago i did all the hard lines on my dads 02 HD for like 130 bucks all stainless from oriellys. Didnt do the soft lines so not sure what they run.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friend just had both hard lines up front blow out as he was backing down his steep driveway, which ends on a busy road. Was an 05 Silverado with original steel lines. He had to change his pants after that! He went with new stainless. Definitely a good investment in salty northern areas.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to do "everything" don't forget to put a new Master Cylinder in.

Logan5

Reaction score
If he says "Everything" I am guessing he means all the brake lines, (9-11 of them), the calipers, rotors, and pads. The new stainless lines go for about 120 for the whole set, but installing them in a b*tch, which I can easily see a mechanic charging an arm and a leg for. I did it myself but it was not fun. After I had all my lines in I found that my caliper bleeder was rusted to hell so needed new calipers too. I ended up doing new calipers/rotors/pads on the front. I salvaged the rears. But doing the brake lines is a must. I was breaking apart the lines with my fingers, just snapping them like twigs. I was amazed I hadn't had a blowout before then.

I did another brake line job the next week and used nickel-copper soft lines and wow was that easier.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Dorman makes a kit that is a complete set of lines for the truck. I bought it a few years ago when one of the lines from the block under the Yukon driver’s side to the rear axle blew out. It looks like every hard line is included. If you are DIY-ing or paying a mechanic, this kit should be looked at.

I was getting my GTO aligned at a shop a few weeks ago after I did coil overs and other suspension upgrades on it. I was waiting to pay and the shop guy called a customer about his ruptured brake line and they quoted almost $800 to cut, bend and flare one from scratch, install and flush and bleed the brakes. I shook my head in disbelief and paid for my car and left. If you are at the mercy of a mechanic, doing the lines from scratch will get expensive in a hurry and we haven’t even made it to the calipers, pads, rotors and MC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts