Need Advice: looking at 16,17,18 Yukon Denali’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upgrading my wife from an Acadia. Looking at 16,17 & 18 Denali’s what are the differences as far as engine, transmissions, options etc. are concerned?

Thank in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Newer is better. Between 16 & 17, definitely stretch for the 17. But if you can stretch further to get an 18, that’s when the 10 speed transmission was introduced. Those other years have an 8 speed which is fine too but the 10 is smoother.

SARNCAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Main differences:
-Transmission went from 8-gear to 10-gear
-Some older models do not have AndroidAuto and/or Apple CarPlay
-Newer models got HDMI port for the rear entertainment system, while older was RCA connection port and SD card
-Newer model got a new amazing updated grill
-I know that newer model got an Active Grill Shutter as standard, but I think it might not be installed at the older models
-Older models might not have the large digital display in the middle of the speedometer
-Earlier models got some recalls that you might need to check, last one was in Sept 2019 for the break vacuum pump and I guess 2018 was not included since they already have fixed it
In general, you may need to check Fourms and YouTube regarding transmission thermostat delete to keep transmission fluid cooler

Last edited:

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upgrading my wife from an Acadia. Looking at 16,17 & 18 Denali’s what are the differences as far as engine, transmissions, options etc. are concerned?

Thank in advance!

2018 with 10 speed transmission all the way. The 8 speed transmission (may) drive you crazy.

OP
OP
JML07denali

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning towards an 18 with the 10speed transmission. However, does the 6 speed on the older ones have any issues? Or is it specific to 8 speed tranny only?

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning towards an 18 with the 10speed transmission. However, does the 6 speed on the older ones have any issues? Or is it specific to 8 speed tranny only?

From what I've heard out there and from some personal experience with the 6 speed it doesn't have near the issues of the 8 speed (doesn't mean it's perfect). I'd encourage you to drive both.

SARNCAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I guess only 2015 was 6-speed trans

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9