Need a source

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan1724

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
...in the USA for USB ports/receptacles.

I have a 2001 Tahoe, and I am going to replace the rear audio controls - which I no longer need - with a charging station for the kids' ipods/pads/phones. In a small space such as that, I figure I can get at least four, and maybe even six charging ports, which will get all the kiddos powered up.

What I am looking for is something that can be fabbed up and mounted on a flat vinyl surface, preferably with an integrated LED so the kids can see it without turning the dome lights on and off forty times.

Any ideas or info is greatly appreciated!

jenielsen

Reaction score
Dan,
Given your problem, I would recommend that you look into getting a USB hub and trying to retrofit it inside of the console. I'm not sure that you will find an easy source for just 4-6 USB jacks from somewhere at a decent price - maybe RadioShack or similar. But those probably aren't going to be more-or-less plug and play.

You can take your entire center console apart and probably fit one inside of there. And because you are only looking for power (charging) station, you can easily tap into power and ground using the hub. I would take a look at Amazon and see what they might have as far as USB hubs go. That should get some ideas going.

Last edited by a moderator:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moved thread to proper section (and edited Jenielsens post)

RachelJWalker

Reaction score
Hey dan If you go to caraudiofabrication.com you might get some good Ideas such as a piece of your favorite color lexan or plexiglass with LED's on the inside. This could be a fun project

jenielsen

Reaction score

Yes, I know there are cheaper alternatives to buy USB hubs.

What I was referring to with RadioShack is if you had to purchase the individual bare USB ports themselves.
In essence, if the OP was trying to make a customized panel and needed the bare USBs.
However, I have also found them on DigiKey located here (albeiet still expensive at $1.38/ea):
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/690-004-260-013/151-1114-ND/1532872

Ebay has a lot of them also: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/female-usb-port

This seller has 10pcs for $1.24 with free shipping from China
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PCS-USB-Type-A-Standard-Port-Female-Solder-Jacks-Connector-AB-/231378887990

OP
OP
D

Dan1724

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Thanks SLCHOE. I'm not very adept yet at the electronical side of things, but I can solder a wire or two just fine. My question is this - If I used one of these hubs that you linked to, does the fact that I am hooking them to a truck matter? I'm sure that sounds like a total noob question, but like I said, electronics aren't my strong point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
35thpewterz