Navi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Well, at one time I figured to upgrade to the 2012 system, it is supposed to be hard drive based as it does not have a flip up screen like ours for the Nav Disc, are those still upgradeable to current year?

Since my phone is now mounted in a cup-holder mount, I sometimes use Waze with it.
The 2012 is hard drive based, but that just means the nav disc data is copied to the hard drive.

You can't use cheap copies of the nav discs. The update discs are keyed to your VIN and still only come out every couple of years and cost about $150-$180. I haven't found any cheaper alternatives, copies/cracks, etc.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2012 is hard drive based, but that just means the nav disc data is copied to the hard drive.

You can't use cheap copies of the nav discs. The update discs are keyed to your VIN and still only come out every couple of years and cost about $150-$180. I haven't found any cheaper alternatives, copies/cracks, etc.

I went on that website tonight and plugged in for a 2012, still the last update was in 2016, nothing newer, same as my 2009. I find it incredible that the aftermarket hasn't made a disc update for us since.

Reaction score
And it takes almost an hour for it to copy all the map data updates

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

MikeNM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
on the oem 2007 unit, probably have to replace the nav disc with a more recent one, probably ebay is going to be your best bet
I bought a supposedly updated nav disc on ebay for my 2007 Yukon, and it didn't work any better than the disc I had. Sorry, I don't have version numbers handy. While I like the Yukon's built-in screen, since that update attempt was a waste of money, I'm not planning on trying it again.

The huge advantage to me of cell phone-based GPS like Waze and Google maps is the up-to-the-minute updates on traffic (in addition to the most current map information). I've been on trips and had it suddenly change my route to avoid traffic jams due to accidents. That has saved me a lot of time.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a supposedly updated nav disc on ebay for my 2007 Yukon, and it didn't work any better than the disc I had. Sorry, I don't have version numbers handy. While I like the Yukon's built-in screen, since that update attempt was a waste of money, I'm not planning on trying it again.

The huge advantage to me of cell phone-based GPS like Waze and Google maps is the up-to-the-minute updates on traffic (in addition to the most current map information). I've been on trips and had it suddenly change my route to avoid traffic jams due to accidents. That has saved me a lot of time.
the first thing I yanked out of mine was the headunit, now I use the pioneer w8400nex wireless, it has both built in gps nav & traffic and wireless android auto/carplay, bluetooth, dvd, card reader, usb, hdmi.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I bought an official updated disc on ebay for $10, complete with magic marker markings, works fine. Couple of falls ago we took a trip to Atlanta for the weekend. I was running the factory nav unit with XM/Sirius Traffic and had our routes plugged in to the system. My dear wife decided to compete by using Waze. When I listened to her and Waze, we got stuck in even more traffic but when I ignored Waze and stuck with GMC and Sirius we made better time. Sirius' Traffic isn't as fast acting nor does it show as many slow downs but in that instance at least, it was better. The software and graphics looks little different than that used in the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica we rented once.

Unless someone starts making updated maps on DVD, at some point I'll be forced into an aftermarket unit which some guys are already replacing due to them not being made as robust as the OEM even though they have many more and improved features.

OP
OP
Rosson03

Rosson03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops forgot to update, CD was purchase easy install and made it back from Florida now looking into changing the din, any suggestions and any Harness I have coming in my future,
Thank u in advance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu