Nav radio upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wifey dont drive our 2008 Tahoe anymore so Im gonna start doing 'things' to it. Like a cat back. Maybe a sub. Put the KMC Slides 24s on it i bought from a coworker several years ago. Lower it. My question is what is a good aftermarket Nav radio that will not break the bank? Hell id even put a factory Nav pull out in it if i could find one. It has Bose now just no nav.

Thanks for any input,
Luie

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wifey dont drive our 2008 Tahoe anymore so Im gonna start doing 'things' to it. Like a cat back. Maybe a sub. Put the KMC Slides 24s on it i bought from a coworker several years ago. Lower it. My question is what is a good aftermarket Nav radio that will not break the bank? Hell id even put a factory Nav pull out in it if i could find one. It has Bose now just no nav.

Thanks for any input,
Luie

Howdy Luie! Amazon has them but Crutchfield will the latest plus all necessary adapters. @kbuskill Ken knows a guy who you could buy from and won't steer your wrong, knows all about what's needed to plug and play too.

Start a build thread and post up some pics of the old girl when you can.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

Thanks for any input,
Luie

Depends on your definition of "not break the bank".

I have a 2008 Suburban LTZ and I originally swapped my factory navigation out for a Rosen GM1210, which looks completely stock but works and sounds much better.

I bought it from Walt at ADC mobile @adcmobile

But the GM1210 is no longer available it looks like.

Here is there new option for the 07-14 (NNBS) trucks...
Dynavin Navi for GM Vehicles – GM2007PRO – ADC Mobile
https://www.adcmobile.com/product/dynavin-navi-for-gm-vehicles-gm2007pro/

About $700 but all plug and play with no additional adapters to buy to keep everything functional. These units are also less likely to get your window broken by a stereo thief as they look like a factory Navi.

I ended up swapping the Rosen out for a Kenwood DNX575S and am very pleased with it as well. It uses Garmin navigation so, for me atleast, is very intuitive. It does require additional adapters to maintain all the factory functions but it also does a lot more.

I used an Idatalink Maestro RR module to keep the steering wheel controls and rear seat entertainment, etc. and it also adds OBD2 functions to the head unit so you can look at your tire pressures, speed, RPM, coolant temp, and a whole lot of other stuff. You can even use it to check your check engine light if it comes on and the sound quality is much better than the stock Navi. It makes the factory Bose "subwoofer" under the center console actually sound like a subwoofer.

I bought everything I needed to install the Kenwood, including the Head unit, from Ebay and just price shopped, for less than $600.

That was Head unit, dash install kit, Maestro, vehicle specific harness for the Maestro, rear seat entertainment harness for the Maestro, everything.

Hope this helps.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with kbuskill that a Kenwood and Maestro combination is a great setup, if the total cost is within your budget. I have this combination in my truck and also in my car.

jcsswix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got the Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto. It doesn't have built in navigation but I prefer Google maps anyway. Having it wireless and auto connect when you start the car is super convenient and I get immediate access to all of the apps I use for music. I prefer it over the stock navigation in my other vehicles.

OP
OP
Luie

Luie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some research on this. If im gonna do this swap for a factory nav radio I need to find a 2012-2014 radio. Help me find one.

Luie.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of "not break the bank".

I have a 2008 Suburban LTZ and I originally swapped my factory navigation out for a Rosen GM1210, which looks completely stock but works and sounds much better.

I bought it from Walt at ADC mobile @adcmobile

But the GM1210 is no longer available it looks like.

Here is there new option for the 07-14 (NNBS) trucks...
Dynavin Navi for GM Vehicles – GM2007PRO – ADC Mobile
https://www.adcmobile.com/product/dynavin-navi-for-gm-vehicles-gm2007pro/

About $700 but all plug and play with no additional adapters to buy to keep everything functional. These units are also less likely to get your window broken by a stereo thief as they look like a factory Navi.

I ended up swapping the Rosen out for a Kenwood DNX575S and am very pleased with it as well. It uses Garmin navigation so, for me atleast, is very intuitive. It does require additional adapters to maintain all the factory functions but it also does a lot more.

I used an Idatalink Maestro RR module to keep the steering wheel controls and rear seat entertainment, etc. and it also adds OBD2 functions to the head unit so you can look at your tire pressures, speed, RPM, coolant temp, and a whole lot of other stuff. You can even use it to check your check engine light if it comes on and the sound quality is much better than the stock Navi. It makes the factory Bose "subwoofer" under the center console actually sound like a subwoofer.

I bought everything I needed to install the Kenwood, including the Head unit, from Ebay and just price shopped, for less than $600.

That was Head unit, dash install kit, Maestro, vehicle specific harness for the Maestro, rear seat entertainment harness for the Maestro, everything.

Hope this helps.

Does the Kenwood/Maestro combination work with Rear Entertainment Systems that have dual screens where you can select different inputs for each of the screens? That’s what I have in my 2013 Denali XL.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did some research on this. If im gonna do this swap for a factory nav radio I need to find a 2012-2014 radio. Help me find one.

Luie.
You just missed one for 100 in the want ads here....
Probably gonna spend 4-500 on ebay then ship it to be programmed and harness you’re looking at 700. I just did it last year or maybe 2 yrs ago, Not worth it imo but its yours so good luck
I found a navrad from a pickup From a guy for my 13 For 300 i got him to 200 then program etc Cost me about 4-450 total

Last edited:
Reaction score
I believe a Tech2 can reprogram the radios to your VIN.

If it costs that much to have it reprogrammed it'd be wiser to just spend the money on a Tech2 and do it yourself and have the Tech2 for future diagnostic and programming use.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts