2013 2500: UYS-UL8 DVD/NAV Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trionic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello!

I found this forum when I was researching our new (to us) family SUV, 2013 Yukon 2500 LTS and it's awesome. Thank you all so much for the information that's here!

Unfortunately, the headunit CD/DVD mechanism on this new truck is broken, it ate a DVD after I forced it a little bit like a dummy, and then I noticed that there's a little roller hanging out the right side.

So I bought a junkyard unit of the same model that's VIN locked--and I have the VIN of the donor vehicle. I also have a Tech2 (Chinese knockoff) and I have the right PCMCIA GM card but it looks like this later version doesn't allow the "Learn VIN" function. Unless I've missed something?

I found this thread: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/upgrade-basic-2013-radio-to-nav-dvd-unit.95553/ but the recommended links inside are dead.

In the early 2000's Saabs, there's a trunk mount CD changer option that's VIN locked. To make those work, using the Tech2 you can change the VIN of the vehicle to match the VIN of the vehicle where the original CD changer was installed, un-marry the CD changer, then change the VIN back to your original VIN, then marry the CD changer. Does anyone know if it would be possible to do something like that with these Tahoes?

Or I wonder if there's a socketed eeprom in there that I could reprogram? I'd maybe think about that, or is there anyone resetting these anymore?

I've also considered trying to use the junkyard unit to rebuild my original, maybe there's daughter boards/sub-assemblies in there that are plug and play(?)--everything else on the original unit seems to work and it's in good shape cosmetically as well. Either way I'm going to take it apart to get my DVD back anyway; but haven't taken anything apart yet.

Any/all help/comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

Radio info:
UYS-UL8
GM No: 22997866
DW468100-7471

OP
OP
Trionic

Trionic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably this is common knowledge but I ended up finding this pretty good explanation here where he uses SPS2 dealer access to make his VINs all match:

It's pretty disappointing that they made it so that modules can't be married with a Tech2.

In any case, I ended up having some time to disassemble the original head unit to retrieve my DVD and can positively confirm that the DVD player itself was modular inside the head unit, almost like you'd find in an old laptop but with two ribbon connections so I just swapped the DVD portion from the junkyard head unit into the original head unit and it works. I guess the DVD players aren't serial number locked to the head units ha.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
No worry, you’re almost there. Make sure you truly have a replacement 13/14 replacement unit. If not you won’t get your active grid lines showing up on the back up cam and the potential loss of other needed operating features.

If you have the right replacement all you need is an AutoSync sw module from BT diesel. It will provide unlimited VIN match to this replacement and any others if this one has a flaw. There’s about 10-15 other features it adds but the most popular are unlocking & using the rear camera anytime & in motion or automatically when the turn signal is turned on.

The other is reading / clearing all the codes through the DIC screen and one touch down on all windows plus 1 touch up on the drivers. There’s a ton more. Again, you’re almost there.

OP
OP
Trionic

Trionic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No worry, you’re almost there. Make sure you truly have a replacement 13/14 replacement unit. If not you won’t get your active grid lines showing up on the back up cam and the potential loss of other needed operating features.

If you have the right replacement all you need is an AutoSync sw module from BT diesel. It will provide unlimited VIN match to this replacement and any others if this one has a flaw. There’s about 10-15 other features it adds but the most popular are unlocking & using the rear camera anytime & in motion or automatically when the turn signal is turned on.

The other is reading / clearing all the codes through the DIC screen and one touch down on all windows plus 1 touch up on the drivers. There’s a ton more. Again, you’re almost there.
Thank you! I just read through the AutoSync manual and that's a cool device. Thank you for the lead. It looks like they're out of stock right now but I'm going to buy one, just the added info in the DIC alone makes it worth it. Very nice, thank you again.

Here's a couple of shots what these things look like inside, they're very modular. It looks like the hard drive could physically be swapped or maybe even upgraded; it would be interesting to take it out and see what it is and how it's formatted. I wonder whether the rest of the 'radio' would recognize more storage capacity

Attachments

• IMG_20231017_204258_545.jpg
    IMG_20231017_204258_545.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231017_205406_095.jpg
    IMG_20231017_205406_095.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231017_210650_131.jpg
    IMG_20231017_210650_131.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 6

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
As long ad the new HD is formatted identical to the existing card you’d be good until the processor couldn’t handle any more.

There’s another company that makes a one shot vin match that plugs into the ECU that will get you there..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts