Radio Dead after dealership disconnected something

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riggz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back Story:

A couple years ago I had the dealership investigate a parasitic battery drain on my 09 Suburban. Both batteries were dead so I bought new ones and dropped them off at the dealership so they could figure it out. They claimed they fixed it by "disconnecting something behind the dash" which killed the radio and the park assist sensors. I assumed it was just the aftermarket radio kit/harness that retained steering wheel controls. (Mostly because it had started acting funny where I would tap the volume up on the steering wheel and the volume would ramp up to max on it's own. I asked what specifically they disconnected but the service manager wasn't able to tell me since the tech that did it had already left when I picked it up.

A few weeks later the pandemic hit in full swing and my wife started working from home. I drive my work van every day and we used my wife's car to cart around the kids. The Suburban sadly just sat for the past two years. I never got around to fixing the radio.

I decided to tackle this project this weekend, but for the life of me I can't figure out what they did to kill the radio. The only thing I've been able to find is a small red/black stripe wire that looks like it was pulled out of the 14 pin connector behind the radio and taped up to the loom. The constant power is good in the connector.

Things I have checked/done:

Checked EVERY fuse.
Disconnected the battery for 10+ minutes.
Re-installed the factory radio.
Looked at most every wire under the dash I can see with the radio out and the driver's side bottom dash off.

I can get my aftermarket radio to boot up and play sound by jumping the constant 12v+ to the 12v+ ignition. When I put the factory unit back in, I can hear what sounds like a disc or fan spinning on the unit, but the screen never comes on and the buttons do nothing.

The 2009 Suburban LTZ was originally equipped with the Bose/Navigation radio. I had an old Pioneer DVD/Nav unit with an AXXESS kit for steering wheel control. I have just bought a new Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX with an iDataLink Maestro RR and GM5+ harness kit. I have also removed the factory Bose amp/sub/front/rear speakers and I am using a JL Audio amp with all aftermarket speakers.

I feel like it's something related the the GMLAN and possibly that red/black stripe wire that was taped up in the 14 pin connector, but I can't find any reference to it in any documentation I've seen online. I will be calling the dealership on Monday to see if they can pull the notes on the last time it was in, but I have my doubts they are going to be very helpful. I may end up taking it back in and demand they fix it, but I'm sure they'll probably point the finger at the aftermarket radio equipment or the missing Bose amp (even though it worked just fine without it for years).

Anyone have any good pictures of their 14 pin connector and notice this red/black stripe wire? Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are you sure it's red/blk or is it really pink/blk? If pink/blk it is pin 5 in the 14 pin connector. There is no red/blk on mine (w/o Y91 w/ UQA). If so, the pink/blk is the low ref. Maybe hook up your new setup and see if pin 5 mates with anything in the GM5+ harness kit. If you still have problems, IDatalink Maestro has a great online tech support website. My two times calling in I first got 5 star tech support and the second time got someone who really didn't want to answer questions on the weekend.

I really like the DMH-W4660NEX and find it more reliable than other recent Pioneer products. I have installed two, one in my daughter's Escape and one in my 2013 Pathfinder which was tricky.

OP
OP
R

riggz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose it is pink/black. The wires are kind of faded, but after taking a pic with my phone and the flash on it looks more pink now. It doesn't appear to mate to anything in the GM5+ harness though on pin 5. Pins 5, 12, and 14 are empty with the pink/black not inserted on the vehicle connector and pins 4, 5, and 12 are empty on the GM5+ connector

IMG_1700.jpg IMG_1701.jpg IMG_1702.jpg IMG_1704.jpg

OP
OP
R

riggz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also found this connector/plug/junction under the driver's side dash. It has all green wires and the white plug in the connector appears to just be connecting all pins together. There is one green wire that appears to have been removed and was just hanging free air.

IMG_1705.jpg IMG_1706.jpg

I've started a new thread related to this plug for more visibility.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

riggz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Talked to the dealership and the notes pretty much said that they had a short to ground on this low reference wire at radio. So that appears to line up with what I'm seeing, but I'm still confused on how this affects the new aftermarket radios when there isn't anything on that pin on the radio's side.

OP
OP
R

riggz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update #2: Spoke with tech iDatalink tech support and we discovered that there is no voltage on pin 13 which is supposedly what triggers the head unit to turn on. He said it should have some sort of voltage but not 12v+. I guess I’m going to take it back to the dealer in hopes that they can undo whatever they did and at least get the factory unit working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos