My battery's going dead from Information center and dome lights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Charlie Coe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

You are already receiving responses from the knowledgeable folks here. Do you have a code scanner, so that you could see if there are any existing trouble codes?

Yes, very interesting. I do have one of wally worlds finest 18.99 obdii scanners. Just now when I plugged it in to the port, the display failed to light up and I could feel it vibrating. Plus my dash and info center lit up like a Christmas tree. Service 4wd & security. I pulled the plug from the port & all seems to have returned to normal.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check the battery cables; they're apt to be rotting from the inside out. Have the battery load tested.

And clean and check the body and engine grounds. There is one set of body grounds right behind the left front tire with two bolts; those grounds tend to get corroded and cause issues.

OP
OP
C

Charlie Coe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check the battery cables; they're apt to be rotting from the inside out. Have the battery load tested.

And clean and check the body and engine grounds. There is one set of body grounds right behind the left front tire with two bolts; those grounds tend to get corroded and cause issues.

Sorry it took so long to get back here with an update. Couldn't find the thread. And I can't thank you all enough for your help. I checked all my grounds including the one you mentioned that includes two wires bolted to the running board bracket that's welded to the frame just behind the lf tire. All was well. Just to be sure I cut the two ground wires that bolt to the backside of the motor on the passenger side and reattached to the firewall. No change except that now my battery is slowing running down even while the motor is running. So for the umpteenth time I will have my new battery & alternator checked out, and go from there. The parasitic drain remains.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are many good videos out there about tracking down parasitic drain; here's one:

Askold_JB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello guys.
Maybe there is a little different problem?

I know well about my 06'Tahoe that it shuts all dome/audio electrical load after 10 minutes since key OFF.
BUT - this will not work like that if I left the door open/ajar. Last time kids left dome light on (with button-click) and did not close the door securely - my BATT voltage dropped to 0V :)
And it is still working well for few months after charghing.
So, maybe that was a problem for TS - ON dome lights with door ajar?

OP
OP
C

Charlie Coe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fixed it. My interior light relay was both the reason why my interior lights failed to cycle off and for the parasitic drain on my battery.

Thanks everybody for all your help.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it aint the door switch then id be looking at the Ground behind your engine at the firewall. This supplies ground to your Body Control Module (BCM) which just happens to control all of those lights that are messing with you. The lights are draining your battery. The stereo power amps will though if the radio doesnt shut down after you close the doors!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645