Must Be Running to go to Neutral

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonLC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2021 Yukon Denali 4 x4 must be running to shift into Neutral. Found out the hard way when it would not start because of a faulty fuel pump module while parked nose to wall in my condo parking spot. We have 4 floors with three living floors above parking garage. Called road service and they wanted it put into Neutral so it could be pulled out of the space and towed. Calls to the dealer and GM resulted in the finding that it cannot be shifted with the engine off. A special wrecker came and lifted the back wheels to get it out. This seems to me to be a bad design feature.

Pertzbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is well documented.

Ram is similar but has a safety release that is hidden and not well known that can get it done in emergencies

OP
OP
R

RonLC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It has been confirmed by the dealer as a fuel module issue. There was a recall on this for some VIN's in 2021 but I did not get one.

The dealer's parking lot has several Tahoe and Yukons waiting for the back ordered module. Must be pretty widespread.

OP
OP
R

RonLC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. It looks like they failed to notify me about this. It has been to the selling GMC dealer twice for service and this was never mentioned.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It looks like they failed to notify me about this. It has been to the selling GMC dealer twice for service and this was never mentioned.
I would be questioning them about that that is a safety issue. They are not allowed to sell unites until repaired but let customers drive their vehicles with this issue going on. I bet they fixed the ones they couldn't sell ASAP and letting customer drive unsafe vehicle.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parking pawl requires hydraulic pressure to be released. There IS a ~$300 manual realease tool that can be attached to the trans under the vehicle to put it into neutral -
Dealer should make sure vehicle retrievers they hire to tow in these vehicles have the tool to release park pawl for towing vehicle back to dealership for repair. In reading the forum seems a lot of damage and problems with hired tow services.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is well documented.

Ram is similar but has a safety release that is hidden and not well known that can get it done in emergencies

It's the same design with all cars that have the ZF 8HP. However, it is a pain in the ass on low clearance vehicles because you need to jack up the car securely to get to the release.

If your car is not completely dead, there is a way to trick it into neutral while the starter is attempting to turn over the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts