Mpg with out afm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to get sorted on my black bear tune (I really want to get it done on a roller).... I want to get the most out of this intake ;)

Seriously though...I am debating turning off this v4 afm thing... When I drive from the Bay Area to see family in Reno, or run down to Disneyland, I get GREAT mileage...shockingly good...

I attest that to it shutting down to the v4 while just cruising...

I know my mileage in v8 mode is determined by my foot position ;) so the tune is going to help and hurt there...

...but will getting rid of the afm have a detrimental effect on the cruising mpg?

I guess I can just keep it (probably will) but I wanted to see what folks are saying about their cruise mpg after tune and v4 delete?

Oh this is on a 15 Denali, 8 speed.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the Black Bear set up works but with the Diablo you can turn it on and off with the In Tune in about 5 minutes. My guess would be that you could do the same with the Black Bear tuner.

I've tested mine using the "instant" MPG feature V8 vs. V4. At 50 MPH on a flat, straight road over 5 miles I think it made a difference of only 2~3 MPG. My Yukon was showing way up in the mid 30's for an MPG V4 & V8 so I don't thing it makes that much difference in the long run in real world conditions.

Last edited:

LGSONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went out to check my average mpg, 18.3. How that is I don't know the way i drive but I'll take it. That is with the DS tuning and no V4 BS. Iit showed the best at 24 mpg, I should have snapped a pic but and older guy taking pic's in his underwear in his driveway at 7am.... all the dog walkers and soccer mom's just didn't sound like a good idea.

LGSONE

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You never know... Maybe they would throw money...for more...or for you to cover up...who cares!!! It's still money!

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went out to check my average mpg, 18.3. How that is I don't know the way i drive but I'll take it. That is with the DS tuning and no V4 BS. Iit showed the best at 24 mpg, I should have snapped a pic but and older guy taking pic's in his underwear in his driveway at 7am.... all the dog walkers and soccer mom's just didn't sound like a good idea.

LGSONE

I checked mine yesterday while I was un loading and re loading Diablo and best was 22.3 average 15.9. Now...that's 85% my wife driving 30 mile round trip 5 days a week to the local High School where she works and me driving on the weekends at times running the Bejeezus out of it...so as Lance said.."I'll take it !!"...especially coming from an Escalade ESV that averaged 10 !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse