Mounting Bolts Stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dubcityon22s

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, replacing the starter in a 2000 Yukon. Easy right? Not this time. The mounting bolts will not budge. I broke a ratchet extension already and I took a breaking bar to a 13mm wrench, and bent the wrench. Being as its Christmas I can't go out and buy a impact wrench. Any ideas?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spray it. Leave it till Santa comes... hope he brings better tools

Ronzxcvb

Reaction score
Pb blaster is available at alot of places
but just needs to be a penetrating oil
merry christmas

1_8TTony

Reaction score
Heat with a small propane torch........it's what I use in the cold weather when I encounter stuck bolts.

Heat the bolt heads, the area of the starter where the bolt shanks pass thru and also heat the area where the threads screw into the engine block.

Don't get things Red Hot, just a little heat.

VA929RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat with a small propane torch........it's what I use in the cold weather when I encounter stuck bolts.

Heat the bolt heads, the area of the starter where the bolt shanks pass thru and also heat the area where the threads screw into the engine block.

Don't get things Red Hot, just a little heat.
This.......

I changed rotors, brakes and a wheel hub last week... I broke two wrenches and bent a jack handle being used as a breaker bar... This is after I soaked them in PB for 2 days...

Went to advanced auto and bought a small propane torch, had all of the stuck bolts off in 10 minutes..

I'll never fight a battle again without heat..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
D

dubcityon22s

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, replacing the starter in a 2000 Yukon. Easy right? Not this time. The mounting bolts will not budge. I broke a ratchet extension already and I took a breaking bar to a 13mm wrench, and bent the wrench. Being as its Christmas I can't go out and buy a impact wrench. Any ideas?

Update, the bolts are out, and the new starter is in! Thank you for yalls help!

OP
OP
D

dubcityon22s

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you end up having to use some heat on the bolts?
No, I got a propane torch but didn't end up using it. Sprayed the bolts with pb blaster, hit with the impact wrench and repeat. Took about 10 minutes of doing that and out they came.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667