Motor Oil Brand vs Consumption?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thirdly, it's not necessarily a friction problem, provided the film strength of the motor oil holds.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If only we had the patience to wait that long! I used to manage a Jiffy Lube man! In and out in 20 minutes!
I did the oil change my self yesterday.. saved a bit of money

slightly messy but i did it.. used Pennzoil natural gas version.. i did have to waste a lot of time as the walmart put the oil filter on very tight to i had to waste more time getting a wrench to get it off..

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, so AcDelco is not a manufacturer. for example, in Acdelco cans there was Belgian Wolf oil, which is cheaper, has a Dexos approval, In USA it Exxon Mobil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after the change to the Shell "Gas Truck" oil of the same weight (10W30) as the others used and a "premium" filter, the oil pressure, according to the dash gauge, is consistently 5 to 10 psi higher ( mostly near 10) both at cold and at normal running temperature. Would that be the oil or the lower rated filtration of the filter?

What is the normal oil pressure range for the 5.3 LS engines?

TexasLC

Reaction score
My 2021 used regular oil for the first 36,000 miles and I changed it every 5k.

Never used a drop.

Once my warranty ended I switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic. 5k later my oil was barely on the dipstick.

Took the vehicle to GMC dealer concerned about oil consumption.

They drained the oil and put in a Delco Blend and started my 1,000 mile consumption test.

Now a 1,000 miles later my dipstick still is full.

I will note that it appeared overfilled when I started the test and I’ve had stupid back and forth with the SA about how to “properly check the oil, cause you can’t just check it bone cold in the morning. You gotta run it for 2-3 minutes, then let it sit for a minute”.

I’m calling BS on how to check the oil & will dig deeper with the SA about that cause it makes no sense.

If the oil is overfilled then the only way they can measure consumption is by draining and weighing the oil and my SA won’t confirm how the actually measure (via dipstick or by drained weight).

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2021 used regular oil for the first 36,000 miles and I changed it every 5k.

Never used a drop.

Once my warranty ended I switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic. 5k later my oil was barely on the dipstick.

Took the vehicle to GMC dealer concerned about oil consumption.

They drained the oil and put in a Delco Blend and started my 1,000 mile consumption test.

Now a 1,000 miles later my dipstick still is full.

I will note that it appeared overfilled when I started the test and I’ve had stupid back and forth with the SA about how to “properly check the oil, cause you can’t just check it bone cold in the morning. You gotta run it for 2-3 minutes, then let it sit for a minute”.

I’m calling BS on how to check the oil & will dig deeper with the SA about that cause it makes no sense.

If the oil is overfilled then the only way they can measure consumption is by draining and weighing the oil and my SA won’t confirm how the actually measure (via dipstick or by drained weight).
Do you have a diesel or gasoline engine?

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the oil keeps the level of about 7-9 thousand km. Then it begins to go away. As a result, from changing to changing the oil, this is about 11-12 thousand km, it takes me about 2 liters of oil to top up the oil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu