Motor Oil Brand vs Consumption?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never looked into the high mileage oil, I've just grabbed it off the shelf if it's what they happened to have at the time in the weight I'm looking for. didn't realize it has stuff meant to swell seals. that doesn't seem good if you're not leaking currently. won't be doing that again haha.

has anyone used liquid Molly band? I know a few people that swear by the stuff. they run the 0w40 in everything. I've not tried it.

I'm half tempted to switch to amsoil and away from mobile 1. it seems like amsoil is near or at the top of every test I see. if you become a member on their site, it doesn't seem much more expensive than mobile 1 at Walmart, free shipping so I don't have to actually walk into a Wal-Mart lol.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never looked into the high mileage oil, I've just grabbed it off the shelf if it's what they happened to have at the time in the weight I'm looking for. didn't realize it has stuff meant to swell seals. that doesn't seem good if you're not leaking currently. won't be doing that again haha.

has anyone used liquid Molly band? I know a few people that swear by the stuff. they run the 0w40 in everything. I've not tried it.

I'm half tempted to switch to amsoil and away from mobile 1. it seems like amsoil is near or at the top of every test I see. if you become a member on their site, it doesn't seem much more expensive than mobile 1 at Walmart, free shipping so I don't have to actually walk into a Wal-Mart lol.
They’re all good oils. I ran a ‘99 Isuzu rodeo to 300K miles on mobil 1, and that engine design was known for having bottom end problems.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worked for a fellow who once said "How high is up?"

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They’re all good oils. I ran a ‘99 Isuzu rodeo to 300K miles on mobil 1, and that engine design was known for having bottom end problems.

that's the one with the gm c6 right? man I had a 91 rodeo with the Isuzu 4cyl and a manual. it was given to me for free cause the window wouldn't roll up. kept it around as a beater car for years. thing was bullet proof. body fell apart around it.. was great for when I needed to park in the higher crime areas of Nola. no one gave it a 2nd look but it never let me down. fired up and ran till the day it got sent to the junk yard. kinda miss that old beater. all 90hp of it haha.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's the one with the gm c6 right? man I had a 91 rodeo with the Isuzu 4cyl and a manual. it was given to me for free cause the window wouldn't roll up. kept it around as a beater car for years. thing was bullet proof. body fell apart around it.. was great for when I needed to park in the higher crime areas of Nola. no one gave it a 2nd look but it never let me down. fired up and ran till the day it got sent to the junk yard. kinda miss that old beater. all 90hp of it haha.
No, that was earlier model years. From the mid 90s through end of production, they used an Isuzu designed and built OHC V6z Mine had the 6VD1. Most also had oil consumption issues but mine never did.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find your local ACDelco dealer they may give you a good price on it. I've been buying it from Rock Auto for a few years now, last was $8.15 per quart delivered. Then when I thought my order was lost, I bought a couple cases from Summit Racing for $8.99 a quart delivered.

Plan B in case ACDelco got too hard to get or expensive was Shell Rotella Gas Truck but that appears to be gone now. So next down the list on viscosity was Quaker State. We're going to try it out on the next oil change and see if the motor rattles on start up like M1 used to do.

I stumbled on AC Delco Dexos 1 Gen2 at O'reillys for 5.69 a quart.
Where did you find the specs. Nothing listed on the AC Delco, just the fancy talk.

Something interesting on the AC Delco site. They have listings for "OE GM Genuine Parts Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w30 Engine Oil".
Would you guess Mobil One makes AC Delco oil?

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stumbled on AC Delco Dexos 1 Gen2 at O'reillys for 5.69 a quart.
Where did you find the specs. Nothing listed on the AC Delco, just the fancy talk.

Something interesting on the AC Delco site. They have listings for "OE GM Genuine Parts Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w30 Engine Oil".
Would you guess Mobil One makes AC Delso oil?
I downloaded the SDS sheet for the oil, it's made by Phillips 66. GM has a long relationship with Mobil One and their oils. They are just "too thin" for my three LS engines.

That's a great price! Stock up! I better go check mine too!

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I downloaded the SDS sheet for the oil, it's made by Phillips 66. GM has a long relationship with Mobil One and their oils. They are just "too thin" for my three LS engines.

That's a great price! Stock up! I better go check mine too!
They didn't show stock in local stores but Free and speedy delivery to home.
The specific bottle product number was 10-9253 and 88865826.

So might that Delco oil be rebranded Phillips 66 Shield Valor oil?

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know, didn't know that they even sold oil to the public.
Specs appear to be similar to the AC Delco Dexos 1 in your chart.
Can find it on line. Never been to a Phillips 66 station but I imagine they sell their oils.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts