More new OEM wheel noob questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011YukonDenali62

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Once again someone is asking about the newer wheels on a NNBS yukon. I apologize.

I've just picked up a silver 2011 Yukon XL Denali with the factory 20" chrome wheels - flaking chrome and all BUT they've got brand and new Michelin 275/55R20 tires on them.

I'm looking on Ebay at reps of the newer gm wheels. I put a set of 18" "trail boss" wheels on my father in laws 02 silverado and they look great. So I'm leaning to the 20" set of those style but I've seen several of these listing showing several different offsets (+26 thru +28)

I also see these "AT4"? style. Split 6 spoke wheels have a +28 offset. I can read until my head hurts but I'm more visual of a person lol.

I know the newer style bolt up to the older models. My biggest concern is how will they sit in the wells? I don't want massive poke out of the fenders. Flush is ideal but a tad outside wouldn't offend me.

I'm also not opposed to being told/shown what looks great for these vehicles lol

Attachments

• 20220902_130227.jpg
    20220902_130227.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20231119_160351_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231119_160351_eBay.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20231119_160403_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231119_160403_eBay.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 6

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once again someone is asking about the newer wheels on a NNBS yukon. I apologize.

I've just picked up a silver 2011 Yukon XL Denali with the factory 20" chrome wheels - flaking chrome and all BUT they've got brand and new Michelin 275/55R20 tires on them.

I'm looking on Ebay at reps of the newer gm wheels. I put a set of 18" "trail boss" wheels on my father in laws 02 silverado and they look great. So I'm leaning to the 20" set of those style but I've seen several of these listing showing several different offsets (+26 thru +28)

I also see these "AT4"? style. Split 6 spoke wheels have a +28 offset. I can read until my head hurts but I'm more visual of a person lol.

I know the newer style bolt up to the older models. My biggest concern is how will they sit in the wells? I don't want massive poke out of the fenders. Flush is ideal but a tad outside wouldn't offend me.

I'm also not opposed to being told/shown what looks great for these vehicles lol

That 2mm difference in offset doesn't mean a thing. It's less than 1/13th of an inch.

We can all give our opinions, but it's your truck and your preferences. Personally, I prefer six spokes if it has six lugs. Maybe it's a balance thing, but it satisfies my mind and eye. I also strongly consider ease of cleaning. Fewer spokes and/or spokes with wider splits/slots in them make for a wheel that's easier to clean.

Last edited:
OP
OP

2011YukonDenali62

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That 2mm difference in offset doesn't mean a thing. It's less than 1/13th of an inch.

We can all give our opinions, but it's your truck and your preferences. Personally, I prefer six spokes if it has six lugs. Maybe it's a balance thing, but it satisfies my mind and eye. I also strongly consider easy of cleaning. Fewer spokes and/or spokes with wider splits/slots in them make for a wheel that's easier to clean.
I appreciate the response. I wasn't sure how much the offset would matter so thats good to know. I can't for the life of me understand all the wheel spec info no matter how hard I try lol.

I agree with the cleaning aspect. I was leaning towards the trail boss reps more so to begin with. I just saw the at4 style and figured I'd throw it in, in case anyone had experience/input on them is all.

My biggest concern is how they'll sit in the wheel well. Any idea how that'll be?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the response. I wasn't sure how much the offset would matter so thats good to know. I can't for the life of me understand all the wheel spec info no matter how hard I try lol.

I agree with the cleaning aspect. I was leaning towards the trail boss reps more so to begin with. I just saw the at4 style and figured I'd throw it in, in case anyone had experience/input on them is all.

My biggest concern is how they'll sit in the wheel well. Any idea how that'll be?

According to wheel-size.com, your stock 20" wheels are 20x8.5 with a +31mm offset. This means that the wheel mounting pad is 31mm towards the outside of the wheel's center line. With a wheel that's 8.5" wide, the center line would be at 4.25" from either rim lip. The WMP is 31mm from that point, towards the outer lip of the wheel.

I searched a Trail Boss forum to get the factory wheel specs for the Trail Boss wheels: 18x8.5 with a +24mm offset. So, the WMP of these wheels is only 24mm out from the wheel's center line. That's 7mm less offset than your factory wheel. Since the wheel is the same 8.5" width as your stock wheel, it's easy to calculate that the outer lip would stick 7mm further out than how your stock wheels currently do. You can just round it to 1/4" to get a visual. If you're wondering if this would cause rubbing, turn your wheels all the way to one direction and see if the closest point the tire is to the fender liner (it'll be the far corner of the tread shoulder block) has more or less than 1/4" clearance. Go to the other side to see how the other side of the tire compares.

Here's a 3-minute video with animations explaining offset. Watch the whole thing cuz the last part really shows what's goin on with two different offsets:

Last edited:
OP
OP

2011YukonDenali62

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
According to wheel-size.com, your stock 20" wheels are 20x8.5 with a +31mm offset. This means that the wheel mounting pad is 31mm towards the outside of the wheel's center line. With a wheel that's 8.5" wide, the center line would be at 4.25" from either rim lip. The WMP is 31mm from that point, towards the outer lip of the wheel.

I searched a Trail Boss forum to get the factory wheel specs for the Trail Boss wheels: 18x8.5 with a +24mm offset. So, the WMP of these wheels is only 24mm out from the wheel's center line. That's 7mm less offset than your factory wheel. Since the wheel is the same 8.5" width as your stock wheel, it's easy to calculate that the outer lip would stick 7mm further out than how your stock wheels currently do. You can just round it to 1/4" to get a visual. If you're wondering if this would cause rubbing, turn your wheels all the way to one direction and see if the closest point the tire is to the fender liner (it'll be the far corner of the tread shoulder block) has more or less than 1/4" clearance. Go to the other side to see how the other side of the tire compares.

Here's a 3-minute video with animations explaining offset. Watch the whole thing cuz the last part really shows what's goin on with two different offsets:

Didn't think about it but the wheels I was looking at are the 20x9 with offset options of +26 up to +28. My bad, should have specified that.

EDIT-
I appreciate the video and typing it out to really help me get the understanding. I watched the video and found a few websites to input the specs and get a good visual of all the information. Like you said, it really doesn't seem to make any difference at all. Thanks for the responses and help

Last edited:

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MORE than 1/13th, 1/13 would be 1.95mm FYI.
In case you were wondering..
For future reference..

OP
OP

2011YukonDenali62

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hate to revive a thread but I'm still going back and forth on this. I just can't seem to make a choice on a set of wheels. I haven't really seen this generation of yukons with newer wheels so its hard to tell what looks good. I'm currently stuck between trail boss reps and rst reps.

Definitely want black but I see a couple options with machined faces as well. I know for sure though I don't want the at4 style lol.

Anybody have any idea/know what newer oe gm wheels (20" for sure) look good on the 07-14 Yukons?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan