Mods for weight and aero... Okay, more for looks. Can't decide.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen/read/watched many forum posts and videos online of damaged 6.2l engines caused by spark knock. They have a higher compression ratio than the 4.8/5.3.

GM does say in the owner's manual to use at least 91 octane, but in a pinch 87 can be used, but engine knock may be heard and you should use higher octane or severe engine damage will occur. So if you drive it like granny, 87 would probably be OK

View attachment 396991

We were looking at different manuals. But, same story.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the hybrid body panels. I think they would look good on your Tahoe. As far as the fixed glass, I don't think I've ever opened the glass on my Yukon.

I vote, dewit

I sent him a parts list and proposition! I have a feeling he'd really rather have the whole thing hauled off. I doubt he'd let it go cheaply enough for it to be worth it to me. Doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I sent him a parts list and proposition! I have a feeling he'd really rather have the whole thing hauled off. I doubt he'd let it go cheaply enough for it to be worth it to me. Doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Right! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I would hope he'd make you a deal.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting about the aluminum spare.. from what I have seen they didn't come with a spare at all. atleast mine didn't. doesn't clear the extra exhaust resonator or something like that I heard. if theres a aluminum one that fits, I'd like to get one. I hate being on road trips. without a spare.
I do agree that I don't remember using the rear glass only often, only when I hit the wrong button on the remote haha. it does have the powered hatch thou, so that might be why I don't find it useful?

from what I've experienced with spark knock, it's about the load in the high load low rpm band really. so lugging the engine around is harder than Reving it out a bit.

the hybrid 6.0 has the odd ball cam that bleeds off cyl pressure. they did up static compression a bit to help, but that along with the tranny having veritable ratios. it never loads it at low rpm. I've not heard any reason to run 93 in it.

now my ls3 c6, that thing pings on 93. it's pretty common to pull a deg or 2 from the high timing map around low rpm high load areas. they don't lose much of any hp. the ls3 and ls based engines in general aren't nearly as picky about timing when normally aspirated as the old Gen 1 sbc was. if you couldn't run 38deg they lost a lot. on my ls3 the engine just feels way happier and smoother to me after removing a little timing while still. running 93.

the hybrid, if I remember right doesn't even have the timing map defined in hp tuners so not much you can do with it, but I'm definitely not putting 4$ a gal gas in it haha. it would have to be rattling itself to death first and then I'd look for a way fix it without buying 93 lol.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting about the aluminum spare.. from what I have seen they didn't come with a spare at all. atleast mine didn't. doesn't clear the extra exhaust resonator or something like that I heard. if theres a aluminum one that fits, I'd like to get one. I hate being on road trips. without a spare.
I do agree that I don't remember using the rear glass only often, only when I hit the wrong button on the remote haha. it does have the powered hatch thou, so that might be why I don't find it useful?

from what I've experienced with spark knock, it's about the load in the high load low rpm band really. so lugging the engine around is harder than Reving it out a bit.

the hybrid 6.0 has the odd ball cam that bleeds off cyl pressure. they did up static compression a bit to help, but that along with the tranny having veritable ratios. it never loads it at low rpm. I've not heard any reason to run 93 in it.

now my ls3 c6, that thing pings on 93. it's pretty common to pull a deg or 2 from the high timing map around low rpm high load areas. they don't lose much of any hp. the ls3 and ls based engines in general aren't nearly as picky about timing when normally aspirated as the old Gen 1 sbc was. if you couldn't run 38deg they lost a lot. on my ls3 the engine just feels way happier and smoother to me after removing a little timing while still. running 93.

the hybrid, if I remember right doesn't even have the timing map defined in hp tuners so not much you can do with it, but I'm definitely not putting 4$ a gal gas in it haha. it would have to be rattling itself to death first and then I'd look for a way fix it without buying 93 lol.
with 91 octane i can pull 45-48 advance timing... this nets more POWER and better gas mileage 23.7 instead of the default 18.5

the 6.0 has variable valve timing.. i'm sure with 93 octane it could pull 55° timing

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts