Moar POWER!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone considered a diesel conversion using the new, 3.0 liter turbo Duramax? Seems like that would be kind of cool, but I am already working on an LBZ conversion for my 3/4 ton Silverado, so can't afford to do 2 at this point.

Just interested in everyone's thoughts.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone considered a diesel conversion using the new, 3.0 liter turbo Duramax? Seems like that would be kind of cool, but I am already working on an LBZ conversion for my 3/4 ton Silverado, so can't afford to do 2 at this point.

Well with the number one problem being a random, and as far as i can research " mostly unexplained " crank and no start... i would pass. I would do an 8.1 though. But in the Tahoe, even a 6.0 is more than i need.

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd think the hardest part of swapping a newer engine like that in would be having to run a stand alone control system. Then there is all the fab work that would be required to get it to fit in the old body style, fabbing mounts, exhaust, etc etc. Making the cluster work, or having to replace the cluster with something different to get functional gauges. All the newer stuff is CAN bus based, nothing on our vehicles is, so there's a huge disconnect in getting everything to work together.
Personally, I'm the type who likes a clean swap, I don't want a hack look, all kinds of aftermarket gauges or dash because none of the factory stuff will work anymore.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There is a local 2002 GMC Yukon Denali for sale with a 6.0 and 4L65E. Has 145k miles and is great shape except for clear coat fade on the hood, small tear on driver's seat that the owner said is to be repaired on March 29 and a small dent just above the left rear taillight, right on the curve where it changes direction from side to rear. The owner says he is getting the dent fixed with a "paintless dent repair" but I don't think that can be done at the location of the dent. He wants $8k for it and he lists as excellent condition. I did a KBB on it and "very good" condition is $6400. I texted with these concerns and have not heard back. I did also ask what the bottom dollar cash price is and if he has paperwork for maintenance and repairs.

What I am saying, is that I wish I had a 6.0 and a more stout transmission and am willing to go back 3 years to do it but I am not gonna overpay for it. This is a nice rig and the dent will be there and I have a body work/painter friend that can help with that and the hood. On my 2002 LT I had before I had the driver's seat done and know the process. My 5.3 and 4L60E may be ticking close to transmission problems. Thankfully, all is perfect now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cheaper to add a 6.0 and beef up your transmission and keep the truck you already have?

You probably even know your budget for the build: ~$6k

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cheaper to add a 6.0 and beef up your transmission and keep the truck you already have?

You probably even know your budget for the build: ~$6k
If you are talking about my post, I could get the Denali and the engine/transmission I want and I believe the Hellwig front and rear kits will switch over and I could sell my Tahoe and come out money ahead. My build thread backs up my claims of the value of my Tahoe. I could even swap tires and wheels as well. It is all "what-if" anyway. Oh well.

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about my post, I could get the Denali and the engine/transmission I want and I believe the Hellwig front and rear kits will switch over and I could sell my Tahoe and come out money ahead. My build thread backs up my claims of the value of my Tahoe. I could even swap tires and wheels as well. It is all "what-if" anyway. Oh well.
Yessir. And the Tahoe is worth more because it is 3 years newer? Mostly I was just suggesting you mess with the engine/transmission since you have everything else dialed into where you want it. You'll have to do that -- plus all the work you suggested -- to anything else you get. It may just be that you aren't lazy and I am...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I do love my Tahoe but wish I had a 6.0 in it with a 4L65E transmission. Sounds like, since I have built it bullet proof so far, I will continue to do so, when and if need to. I can't even get the Denali owner to contact back.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My thoughts
You can buy both of those today, for that level of effort do something not available and better.

For example
I took a Chevy square body, pulled out the 6.2 diesel and dropped in a Cadillac 500 built to 600/600. It was different and better and interesting. Added 35's to the mix and it was the easiest rig I've every sold.

So along those lines, maybe a blower, maybe a big block, both cool and better then factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17