Mild 6.0L Build Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a slow mover lol I am currently soaking accessory brackets in degreaser... retaping harnesses etc. I spent 3 or 4 hours perday cleaning up pieces like new as I put back together.

Yeah I think the lifters will def make it a bigger cam as factory spec lifters hame something like double the plunger movement. My biggest worry with that is will it beat up on the cam as there is decreased dampening. Guess I will find out. I hope to check lash a couple more times after break in periods.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I was just kidding on the hurry up and start up.....take your time.

On cleaning.
I do that too.
Sometimes I have parts bead-blasted and then I paint them......always looks better that way.
Especially on the iron parts so they don't rust.

Your cam will be fine.
The johnsons and the dual springs just require a different maintenance cycle.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive my novice... what is different about the maintenance cycle? I kind of assumed that after a few thousand miles if preload was same should stay same no?

As for startup straight manifolds or with exhaust hahahahhaa

My neighbors will kill me but totally worth it.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive my novice... what is different about the maintenance cycle? I kind of assumed that after a few thousand miles if preload was same should stay same no?

As for startup straight manifolds or with exhaust hahahahhaa

My neighbors will kill me but totally worth it.

On dual springs and high or semi-lifted cams there are multiple schools of thought for maintenance.
Some say 25K miles pull and check others say 60K.....referred to as head refresh. But more often than stock.
On the johnsons I've heard one check after first few hours, then 100 miles, then should be good.....I dunno, not my area...LS1Tech guys do that stuff.

On start up its up to you how loud. I'm just interested to hear the johnsons and the lope of the cam.

Like this YouTube Tahoe with a cam.....his lope sounds really cool. Best sounding Tahoe I've ever heard.
But maybe its like the BMWs that have audio enhancement for engine sound.
Cold Start - YouTube

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're going to "upgrade" the injectors, 25# are going the wrong direction, you'll want the 50# injectors, thats what I have to go with.

The OEM 38# FF injectors are what I started with and was at 100% duty cycle at 5900 rpm. I will get the part number for the injector I got later today. Once you swap the injector you will have to tune it before you can fire it up because the fuel tables will not be scaled right and you will flood the motor with fuel and probably hydrolock it

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going to "upgrade" the injectors, 25# are going the wrong direction, you'll want the 50# injectors, thats what I have to go with.

The OEM 38# FF injectors are what I started with and was at 100% duty cycle at 5900 rpm. I will get the part number for the injector I got later today. Once you swap the injector you will have to tune it before you can fire it up because the fuel tables will not be scaled right and you will flood the motor with fuel and probably hydrolock it
Hydrolpcked with fuel... bad memories. Def want to be careful of that!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
On dual springs and high or semi-lifted cams there are multiple schools of thought for maintenance.
Some say 25K miles pull and check others say 60K.....referred to as head refresh. But more often than stock.
On the johnsons I've heard one check after first few hours, then 100 miles, then should be good.....I dunno, not my area...LS1Tech guys do that stuff.

On start up its up to you how loud. I'm just interested to hear the johnsons and the lope of the cam.

Like this YouTube Tahoe with a cam.....his lope sounds really cool. Best sounding Tahoe I've ever heard.
But maybe its like the BMWs that have audio enhancement for engine sound.
Cold Start - YouTube
LOLOLO--That's mine! No audio enhancements. That's exactly how it sounds in person--but LOUDER!

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot figure out where a few items go here...

This grounding strap comes off the harness going down across the front of the engine. The battery negative cable goes to the side of the block around there. Does this attach in the same place?cacbd0ecd398b841c109ca2c0edd2432.jpg

This bracket was attached to the back of the steering pump (I believe). I cannot figure out how it was oriented.
a23acb78b392a5cdd6e5214e3f999f93.jpg

No clue the purpose of this. I recall it was attached to the passenger side head. This is the only orientation it would fit... or does it go on the back of the head? I cannot remember nor do I know what purpose it serves.
842c270301b748d7fa557457d4db3954.jpg

This was in my bag of bolts for the AC compressor / bracket. I cannot figure out where it goes though? Short bolt, has a washer on it.
5acc772e40839d885a76c146acf28a11.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman