Mild 6.0L Build Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing is I have a 5.3L fuel map in my computer and this is a cammed 6.0L

I may need to at least program computer with LQ9 maps to start it for few seconds? Not sure...

This time I have bigger cylinders too so not sure if I can even safely start it?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
For the 2001 in your sig? Or is it a different Tahoe?

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah is what I will do. Prob start it without all the hoopla hooked up. Just spin with starter. Thrn with fuel, then with plugs and let run for a few seconds. Lastly reassemble everything.

Only thing is I have a 5.3L fuel map in my computer and this is a cammed 6.0L

I may need to at least program computer with LQ9 maps to start it for few seconds? Not sure...

In my LT1 I put a much larger cam. However, I just ran it with stock tune for quite a while. This time I have bigger cylinders too so not sure if I can even safely start it?

I'm assuming your injectors and fuel pump/reg are same
It'll start fine with a 5.3 calibration, it may not idle, but your are DBC, Yeah? Just finger it. .....LOL
I'm more concerned with the lifters, but I guess we'll see.

Then if you must and you have HP Tuners (I think you do), just download a stock 6.0 tune from library and make changes.
That should get you going until you're all together and can drive it.....Change the target idle setting first so it doesn't stall out.

But it should start fine now.
And take a video.....I would like to hear the johnsons..they may be a bit noisier than stock so manage your expectations.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS.
I don't know the specs on your cam.....
Depending on the size, if lift is over .530 you may be at the edge of duty cycle with your injectors.
Not critical right now...just don't spin it to 7500 yet, LOL

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha I go to 587 at peak figuring in the factory rocker ration. I was sorted about buying the bigger injectors then found a set of 8 25lb acdelcos factory part numver for lq9 for like 50$ new so sprung on them.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha I go to 587 at peak figuring in the factory rocker ration. I was sorted about buying the bigger injectors then found a set of 8 25lb acdelcos factory part numver for lq9 for like 50$ new so sprung on them.

OK....6.0 injectors=5.3 injectors, meaning same. You'll most likely need more...at some point.

.587 Lift? Is that what you meant?
Do you know the duration and LSA....that's important for your Trans torque converter.

For example, the BTR stage 4 (biggest they make) truck cam has a .553 intake lift and a healthy duration so it requires a 3000 stall converter.
Specs are 224/230 .553/.547 111+2, I suspect your duration is less. Inquiring minds want to know.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
OK....6.0 injectors=5.3 injectors, meaning same. You'll most likely need more...at some point.

.587 Lift? Is that what you meant?
Do you know the duration and LSA....that's important for your Trans torque converter.

For example, the BTR stage 4 (biggest they make) truck cam has a .553 intake lift and a healthy duration so it requires a 3000 stall converter.
Specs are 224/230 .553/.547 111+2, I suspect your duration is less. Inquiring minds want to know.
I have the BTR stage 3 cam with a 3000 stall Circle D.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My goal was to not use a high stall torque converter. This is what Roger came up with for me. I don't totally understand torque converters. I know how they work but don't really understand how they spec them. For now will be running factory converter and 4L60E. I think lobe height is 345, or 587 with the 1.7 rocker ratio. I told Roger I was looking at RV cams had a comp cam picked out but asked if he could build to not loose power anywhere over factory camshaft, as well as have more gentle rampa than the steep ramp shoet duration profile comp cams has.

5ef80f5be471ec0b417808cf04beb13f.jpg

Last edited:

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be OK with stock converter.
The johnson's might make the cam bigger than it is....Is that the difference you are computing?

Not a small cam though....should have some lope to it.

For reference, this is the summit racing towing cam for trucks focused on torque.
op range idle to 5000
205/217 112+2, .500 /.500 (larger than stock, smaller than yours)

One step at a time.....
Did you video the start up yet? I want to hear the johnson's

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a slow mover lol I am currently soaking accessory brackets in degreaser... retaping harnesses etc. I spent 3 or 4 hours perday cleaning up pieces like new as I put back together.

Yeah I think the lifters will def make it a bigger cam as factory spec lifters hame something like double the plunger movement. My biggest worry with that is will it beat up on the cam as there is decreased dampening. Guess I will find out. I hope to check lash a couple more times after break in periods.