Might be buying tahoe...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could get some info from pulling codes correct?
if there is a known coolant leak take a flashlight and look under the truck, concentrate under the radiator, bottom left/right sides of the radiator, also under the water pump, check the heater hose connectors that go into the firewall and T off to the rear, and there is a 3 way hose that goes into/out of the water pump front lower passenger side. coolant reservoir tank. if you can't find anything there then remove the oil filler cap flip it over and see if it has any white/green/orange milky goo inside of it, normally it should be pretty clean. one other place to check if all else fails is under the passenger side rear corner bumper/rear wheel area the rear hvac has a coolant line that feeds in & out back there, leaks are rare back there but they can happen.

**edit if you find goo under the oil filler cap then I would pass, some say a little is normal if it was only driven short distances but I have never once seen goo under filler cap be normal

OP
OP
M

macheff03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well all he said is that the coolant went low twice this summer.
Water pump was replaced last year. I just asked for more info about the leak.

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up my 02 z71 Tahoe and it has just about every option available. It had 161k when I got it. Had the last 4 years of service records. I got it for 3800 and has 0 rust. Just as a comparison.

For the coolant issue if there is no signs of a leak it might be consuming it like others have mentioned. You stated that the pump was replaced if a proper flush was not done and different coolant was used after it can cause the original DeX cool to eat away at aluminum first thing to go are radiator heater core.

OP
OP
M

macheff03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The owner doesn’t seem to really know, he said now that he had to put coolant in twice this summer, and there was a puddle on the ground a few times... that info was coming from his son that drove the car. What do y’all think.

I’ve been browsing and there are other options as well so not the end of the world if something’s wrong with this one plus I gotta sell my car now first anyway

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
The owner doesn’t seem to really know, he said now that he had to put coolant in twice this summer, and there was a puddle on the ground a few times... that info was coming from his son that drove the car. What do y’all think.

I’ve been browsing and there are other options as well so not the end of the world if something’s wrong with this one plus I gotta sell my car now first anyway

Ask him where the puddle was.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as long as it's not the heads fixing it is not all that hard at all, go check it out and use it as a bargaining edge, tell him your getting it for your wife and kids and don't them broke down somewhere.

OP
OP
M

macheff03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
as long as it's not the heads fixing it is not all that hard at all, go check it out and use it as a bargaining edge, tell him your getting it for your wife and kids and don't them broke down somewhere.

I’m not that worried about it
Using it as a way to get it cheaper was what I was thinking too so I’ll do that. Just wanted to identify whatever was the problem first

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure if there is a coolant leak that it is not coming from the ac drain. The ac drain runs out of the lower portion of the passenger side firewall if there is coolant coming out from there this will indicate s leaking heater core and will require the removal of the dash and evacuation of the ac system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons