Might be buying tahoe...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

macheff03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all!

So I'm in the market for a bigger vehicle that can tow and I can mod. (I currently own a bmw 3 series) and my search keeps bringing me back to the tahoes (2000-2006) which I like but don't know much about. Mileage on average, about 150k to 200k price point around $5,000. What problems present themselves at this mileage, engine and transmission still good? Is it worth buying one at this mileage?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the vehicle has been maintained properly it should be fine these trucks will go 300k or even more, junk yard guys typically start seeing them starting around 260k. I live in California so rust virtually never crops up, but if you live in a rust area I would try avoid anything extremely rusty, there should be a thread in the forum of what to look for when buying a nbs, there is one for the nnbs. the 04-06 have some things the 00-03 don't have like electric fans, etc. Personally I would go for a 03 if I was in the market again they should have the 4l65e trans and none of the nannies like tpms or traction control, tpms was federally mandated in 04, the 00-02 will likely have the 4l60e which is considered a weaker transmission then the later 4l65e just depends on how hard you work it I guess. poke around on the forum plenty of information on here.

OP
OP
M

macheff03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok
I’ve been seeing a few that are pretty nice all have around 160k miles including one very close to me

2003 z71 pretty nice condition
Only problem is it has a possible coolant leak so I’ll bring a code reader and see what’s the deal I guess. Owner had it since 2014 and engine light has been on throughout his ownership, so he says, but has all service records so I’m thinking just needs codes cleared and maybe water pump for the coolant leak...

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Ok
I’ve been seeing a few that are pretty nice all have around 160k miles including one very close to me

2003 z71 pretty nice condition
Only problem is it has a possible coolant leak so I’ll bring a code reader and see what’s the deal I guess. Owner had it since 2014 and engine light has been on throughout his ownership, so he says, but has all service records so I’m thinking just needs codes cleared and maybe water pump for the coolant leak...

If there is coolant on the ground, water pump weeping or check the tee fittings at the firewall. If it's drinking coolant, check the head casting number. Maybe cracked castechs.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. This is a great place to exchange ideas, get questions answered, and receive recommendations from folks who want to share, and have the knowledge to share accurately.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you the specific information that you are looking for (though other folks on this Forum will be able to), other than to say that I bought my 07 Yukon XL Denali, completely rust-free from North Carolina, a year ago for $13,900, with 125k miles. I have truly enjoyed this truck over the past year, and I have not dumped piles of money into it for non-discretionary repairs (discretionary mod expenses are a whole other story).

Good luck on your search!

OP
OP
M

macheff03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. This is a great place to exchange ideas, get questions answered, and receive recommendations from folks who want to share, and have the knowledge to share accurately.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you the specific information that you are looking for (though other folks on this Forum will be able to), other than to say that I bought my 07 Yukon XL Denali, completely rust-free from North Carolina, a year ago for $13,900, with 125k miles. I have truly enjoyed this truck over the past year, and I have not dumped piles of money into it for non-discretionary repairs (discretionary mod expenses are a whole other story).

Good luck on your search!

Thank you Joseph and that’s what I like to hear repair wise since I’m coming from an older bmw which I have put plenty of money in it over my ownership. Looks like rust is something to look out for, and I live in South Carolina on the beach so rust will happen but I’ll try to look for one with little rust to start out with at least. I’m glad to hear that the majority of my money will be going towards mods and not repairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep