Matt's Yukon XL 2500 (Giant Silver Unicorn) Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally at the point where I can post an actual build thread with action, not just 'plans'.

So a bit of background... I've always had an offroad vehicle of some type, from Explorers to Wranglers to Cherokees to Silverado & Sierra trucks. My most recent vehicle was a nicely modified Jeep Commander. It was our go-to for trips to OBX, skiing, mountain biking, and local (legal) wheeling spots.

Well, 4 kids later and plans of buying a travel trailer sort of put a damper on the Commander's capabilities. With the 3rd row up there was essentially no interior cargo room, and with towing capacity just over 7k, our travel trailer options were extremely limited especially after factoring weight of passengers/cargo (as the kids grow anyway). There aren't many vehicles out there that can comfortable seat a family of 6+, and still be configured for everything from beach driving to towing a large travel trailer.

I knew what I wanted, and needed, but I also knew finding my "unicorn" was going to be a challenge. I searched NATIONWIDE for almost a year for a GMT800 or GMT900 Suburban or Yukon XL2500. Every time I found a truck it sold before I was able to get there.

Then I found her. She wasn't perfect, but damn near close. Every option I wanted, and none of the ones I didnt. The only thing that would make my unicorn perfect is if she was a Suburban instead of the Yukon, just because i dislike the GMT900 Yukon front clip... but that wasn't going to stop me.

The dealer was awesome, salesman text me pictures of the undercarriage and everything i requested, made the deal over the phone, gave them a deposit, booked an airline ticket, told my boss i was taking a day off work.... then a few days later left NJ at 6AM, flew to OH, dealer picked me up, test drove the truck, signed the paperwork (which was all prepped nicely btw), hopped in my new truck and drove ~600 miles straight home, nearly non-stop... i only stopped because my wife was getting mad at me and told me to get a coffee around 10PM even though I was less than 2 hours from home. But boy those were a looooong two hours!

So here's my Unicorn, on the dealer lot and then in my driveway (pic taken the next morning as I left for work... because I only took 1 day off)

2016-07-25 21.17.32.png 2016-07-29 10.40.49.jpg

And here she is in her most current form:

20180713_115601.jpg

Build Thread Cliff Notes:
4-6" Cognito NTBD
35×11.5 STT Pro's
ATX201 Wheels 18x9 0mm
2" Steel rear wheel spacers
FOX Shocks
4.56 Yukon Gears
G2 Differential Cover
BBP Autocal Tune
SS Extended Brake Lines
AMP Powersteps
AIRLIFT 1000 Helper Bags
Rhino Rack Vortex SX load bars
1up-usa Bike Rack
Silver Carbon Fiber Emblem overlay
Trimmed front valence
Kryptonite Tie rods (KRTR10)
Kryptonite Idler Arm/Pivot/Support Bracket (KRISP10)
Kryptonite Pitman Arm (KR6654)

To Do:
Tow mirrors (coming fall 2018- power fold!)
Double Cardon Front D'S
HD Upper Control Arms

....suggestions???

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matt_

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The base for the build was always going to be a ~4" lift and i figured 33" tires would do it. Naturally I kept my eye on used tires, hoping to find that sucker that was talked into 33s by his wife for his Jeep, but then threw a 2" lift on and needed to go up to 35s.... and that's pretty much exactly what found. A set of almost new 305/60/18 Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's for a great deal.

So now I had these big tires, and I only had my truck for a month or so.... I wasn't ready to lift it yet. Well I "was", but I needed to sell my Commander first, but wanted to use my Commander through the winter, sell in the Spring,then transfer DD duties to the XL2500.

IMG_0992.JPG

My buddy hooked me up with a nice set of wheels at a great price... the next question was how to fit them! Having owned a few trucks with similar suspension, and having run every type of lift imaginable, cranking the torsion bars were out of the question!

2016-09-03 17.43.49.jpg

No suspension lift, No cranking the torsion bars.... but being my 3rd GM truck I'm an expert at trimming!

Modified the front bumper brackets, cut and reshaped the sheet metal in the back of the fender, then used a heat gun to reform the plastic liner.... crossed my fingers and to my surprise (really), they fit without rubbing!

2016-08-21 11.29.12.jpg

20171125_150137.jpg

2016-09-07 23.24.08.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matt_

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I sold my Jeep last year I used some of the money to upgrade from the factory running boards to AMP Research Powersteps. Probably not the most practical mod as they catch less (like none at all) road debris, more moving parts, etc etc, BUT they come down lower when extended which helps the kids get in, which I guess is my way to justify these as more than a purely cosmetic upgrade :ylsmoke:

One thing they do well is make the GSU look like its lifted. I've had multiple incidents of people asking about the lift, most famously was at the scummy dealership service department when they tried to circumvent a warranty claim but using my "lift" as an excuse not to cover the repair. They sure felt like idiots when I told them to go take another look at the truck and call me back when they tell me which lift kit is installed. Tthe next call i got from them was "repairs are done" :rolleyes:... and yes, i verified they were done before leaving lol

On to the pictures..

Stock Running Boards

20170408_094235_zps7simhavg.jpg

AMP's retracted

20170408_145759_zps5seqmxfp.jpg

AMP's Extended

20170408_145644_zps54trchuk.jpg

How she was sitting as of yesterday.... well, yesterday afternoon anyways....completely different by 9PM :crazy:

2017-06-15 10.36.42.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matt_

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to really embrace a mid life crisis and get the parts ordering started back in December. Ordered the Lift kit, so no turning back, and recently ordered the wheels/tires when I realized my 5.7" backspaced wheels would have an issue with the upper control arms on the Cognito kit.

2018-01-15 13.59.56-1.jpg

If you saw my other thread, you already know I decided to go a different direction than most. I was tired of the GSU looking like its out of an old black & white movie, but i've never been a chrome or polished wheel person, but I'm not a fan of most black/machined wheels. I wanted more of a heavy duty, overland type of look for this rig.... not a show truck.

So fingers crossed, but I think this is going to look pretty good once complete! :headbang:

2018-02-09 18.11.08-1.jpg

2018-02-09 12.01.22-1.jpg

2018-02-09 12.08.05.jpg

And heres how she was sitting as of 9PM last night. Just having some coffee and then heading out to the garage to put GSU back together again :party36:

2018-02-16 19.21.49.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matt_

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Pro Comp bumper trimming brackets were clutch. Kinda made my own install method since I had already trimming the bumper support. Still need to take a bit more off and then clean up the edges, but it won't look much different than now.

FYI a buddy who's a car fanatic stopped by and had no clue the bumper was modified until someone pointed it out, and I didn't even give it my OCD touch yet.

20180217_201054.jpg

20180217_200918.jpg

20180217_201133.jpg

20180217_201213.jpg

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Looks great. Congradulations on the score. Didn't know you were in nj.

Last edited:

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s awesome. Way to get the kids involved too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt