Manual trans swap unpopular?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a NV4500 is an easy swap then a NV5600 would probably go easily as well.

Personally I have thought about a stick conversion but I always assumed it would shift like a school bus which I don’t want. I also absolutely HATE the 4L60e. It shifts good but the ratios are terrible IMO. When I get on it from a light it doesn’t shift out of first until 45ish. Also when it locks in OD and I hit a slight incline it comes out of lock and shortly there after downshifts. I blame this mostly on the 5.3 lack of power to move a suburban. I prefer an automatic in bigger vehicles typically though. I have been emailing a few companies about doing a 6L90 or even the 8L90 swap . I would convert the 6.0 over to a 58x reluctor ring and four position cam before I swap it in. That’s what’s needed to control a 6 or 8 speed auto with the older LS ecm according to what I’ve read. Dimensionally it’ll fit just need a custom cross member. Anyway do the swap and let us know. You have my attention

You are way overcomplicating that. Find someone local with hptuners to tweek the way the trans acts during driving, and consider a steeper rear gear ratio to keep you in lockup longer while maintaining acceleration ability. 8l90e and reluctor swap. Wow that sounds flat ridiculous.

@01ssreda4
Aren't you the one else doing this swap?

Not me brother.

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are way overcomplicating that. Find someone local with hptuners to tweek the way the trans acts during driving, and consider a steeper rear gear ratio to keep you in lockup longer while maintaining acceleration ability. 8l90e and reluctor swap. Wow that sounds flat ridiculous.

Not me brother.

I’m actually considering 4.10s because my front diff bearings are starting to make noise and the rear can’t be far behind. As for 8L90e it wouldn’t be to hard to do with money. The question would be is it worth it? I don’t think so. Companies like speartech and few others have boxes now that can convert the 24x reluctor ring signal etc. it would definitely take and time and money but in the end I doubt I would put that much into this vehicle. I’d do duramax swap before I spent 7k on an 8 speed auto behind a 5.3

OP
OP
drowssap

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't the duramax be a little heavy for the 1/2 ton frame? And the torsion bar suspension?

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't the duramax be a little heavy for the 1/2 ton frame? And the torsion bar suspension?

I wouldn’t think so on the frame but I would definitely upgrade to stiffer torsion bars and I would use a duramax from a Van that is mated to a 6l90e. I would also leave it mostly stock. My dream vehicle would be a 2500 NBS Suburban with a van duramax swap.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not at all likely to happen but if I built a Suburban with a Duramax and 6 or 8 speed automatic my father in law would borrow it and never give it back. LOL!

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not at all likely to happen but if I built a Suburban with a Duramax and 6 or 8 speed automatic my father in law would borrow it and never give it back. LOL!

Can’t say I blame him. Lol

http://www.speartech.com/product_p/ls36l802.htm

I’d probably do this swap before a 20k+ duramax swap. I see it like this. I own my suburban outright. To get a zero mile on the drivetrain/engine suburban it’ll cost 50k or more.

Option 1 - take a loan and pay 600 a month for 67 months. That’s zero interest and 10k down on a 50k price tag. No thanks. That’s a rental property, not a vehicle

Option 2 - Keep driving this one and continually put money in to every 6-8 months as things break and that’s on about 500-1000 every 6-8 months. (currently where I’m at)

Option 3 - spend 1500 on this driveline and install it myself. Trailer suburban to speartech or another speed shop and let them get it running etc. assuming 3k bill I’m at 18k. Now spend 3k more on new rear ended, front end, tcase and replace all bushings, bearings, ball joints etc. sitting at about 22k for a zero mile driveline and zero payment Suburban.

Option 4 - replace everything with reman oem stuff and be at zero mile driveline for less than 15k.

Option 5 - duramax 30k.

Option three is my favorite

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know is is a very old thread but if this is still an interest to anyone. I'll be 5 speed swapping my suburban in a few weeks

If you have any questions or want pictures of something let me know. I've got 2 5 speed gmt800s one with the trans out and going back in this coming week. I'd love to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
microfoxdev