Mandatory Onstar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Callen841

Reaction score
Model Year: 2023 Division: Yukon XL: 4WD Ultimate Trim MSRP: $98,950.00 MSRP W/DFC: $100,745.00

Options
Tire Pressure Monitor $50
Super Cruise $2,200
Enhanced Trailering Technology Package $750
Titanium Rush Paint $450
3 years of OnStar Safety and Security $905
Freight/Destination Charge $1,795
Thank you for this- my dealer gave me different numbers; this looks more like it.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Navigation is neutered a bit (no traffic, I think), although there was some discussion about ability to hotspot the head unit to your phone and use it's data connection. Perhaps someone w/ a Chevy who decided to let it expire can say more (I am still in my "included 3 years").
You cannot download and store offline maps, and thus your speed limit sign on the dash and in HUD will show "--" all the time.
You will definitely lose the ability to start/lock/unlock/flash lights from the phone app.
Obviously you lose all the OnStar features like crash response, stolen vehicle assist, vehicle locate, etc..
The On Board WiFi hotspot obviously won't be active.
Google Assistant won't work to set A/C, Change Radio Stations, Ask for Directions, etc.

Those are the main ones I can think of...

The even more curious thing about this whole move is that there is not even an option on the Chevys to add this.

I am no marketeer, but my way of marketing it would have been:
1) Make it standarad on Buick and GMC (3 years OnStar connected services Included), adjust base price accordingly
2) Make the Option a true Option on the Chevys, and maybe price it slightly more than the "included" price increase on the GMC.

This would:
a) make buyers of the uplevel brands feel like they were getting more value for their premium pricing
b) possibly encourage buyers of Chevy to also take the 3 years of services.

Instead, we all know what the general did, and here we are with people upset. I feel like this is New Coke all over again.
I have a new 2022 Silverado HC and I let the Onstar and internet go, I lost the navigation and the speedometer sign on the screen. That’s basically it for me, I have never used or tried a voice assistant. I had a 2019 Silverado before this one, a lease, used nav maybe 2-3 times in 3 years so not worth it for me. I do think it’s sh**ty tho that they took nav away especially for the high trims, they claim it’s to keep updated maps/roads/traffic, well the roads around me have not changed in 40 years I’ve been alive how about everyone else? LOL
Now I do buy the $200/year internet in my wife’s 2021 Tahoe but that’s for the rear media, and with that it keeps the speedometer on the HUD. Hers being a 21 keeps the nav built in.

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, just got the email this am and saw this article. I'm just blown away by the audacity.. Looks like sales are going to be dropping..

FatBob

Reaction score
I wish I had refused to allow the dealer to active OnStar on my 2022 Silverado.
On the 30th day of my free trail, I was backing into a parking place. OnStar came on at FULL VOLUME, basically yelling at me I had to subscribe, my free trial was over. No way to turn it down (volume) or off. I was startled to the point I stopped trying to park and waited for this RUDE interruption to end.
I hope I have no further contact from OnStar.

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously……$100K and they are nickel and dining $50 for TPMS…

FWIW….I was slightly off on the last post about the subscription article about BMW….yes still subscription but heated seats not power windows….same concept and of course they will try it there because they don’t fight…..I see it as a major fight in the free world!!

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to be both shocked and.... not shocked, I guess?
I am puzzled (along with so many of you) as to why this has become a compulsory item, when many (such as myself opt to keep it on their vehicles). As previously mentioned, the prices is also teetering on the insane, I pay around 360.00 for my Onstar. I have navigation, cell calling minutes (which is almost pointless when my phone is connected whenever I'm in the truck) and of course location, systems monitoring and such. I have never opted for the wifi option.
So, to reiterate everyone else's thoughts, this feels like a "we can do it, so we will" thing- If there is a 6+ month waiting list to buy a new GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, etc. they're just going to pinch an extra 1500.00 outta you. Kinda leaves a pretty bitter taste in my dedication to GM all of my life.
Does this mean I'd buy a Ford, Dodge or hack, hack, cough... Toyota? No, probably not.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a happy guy.... :p

I love my 2005 Yukon XL ( fully optioned )....
The OnStar will ( or has) been cancelled because it is a 3G. A couple years ago I unplugged the OnStar box and replaced it with the CoStar box, allowing me to use the OnStar components free and bluetooth my phons to the system.

I have a GPS that fits nicely in the dash cubby......
All this talk about the 'new technology" seems GM is going past intelligent and becoming dumb.

Reaction score
Sounds they are copying the business model from MS, mandatory updates for Windows 10 & 11. (At least there is no charge, YET!)

Don't you just love big tech and big corporations telling you how to conduct your life?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali

Latest posts