Onstar Wifi interference causing business phone system to drop calls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Forum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purchased a new Yukon 2017 last year with built-in WiFi. Sometime afterward we noticed intermittent static interference with our business phone system. Sometimes the static was bad enough it would drop the call. One day all of a sudden the static interference started and at the same time I noticed the Yukon's "WiFi Hotspot xxxx" show up in the wireless information. An employee had just drove the Yukon in the driveway. Turns out the OnStar WiFi was the causing our business phone system to fail. The intermittent part was only because the Yukon wasn't turned on all day. Every time we started the Yukon it would cause static on the phone until it drove away or was turned off.

We have never used OnStar. Not for the free trial period, not ever. We do not have an Onstar web account, nor have we ever used the cell phone app. For those of you that love OnStar GodBless, but it is not anything that we will ever be interested in.

I called OnStar and they claimed that since the infotainment center showed the WiFi was turned off the device would be disabled. When I asked... why does the "WiFI Hotspot xxxx" show up on my phone and laptop when we turn on the vehicle, and disappear after we shut the Yukon off then? They then told me to shut it off using my web account or app. When I reminded them that I did not have an account, they asked me to push the little button and they made some changes remotely. They told me that they had disabled the wireless and all was good, but unfortunately that was not the case. All they had done was change the wireless device to be hidden and then restricted access to the infotainment center only. This kept it from displaying the SSID on the phone and laptop, but then it showed up as a "hidden" network available instead. It unfortunately did not shutoff the wireless radio which was causing the issues. After this was explained they told me I would have to take it to the dealer.

Trying to be helpful I got out the spectrum analyzer that looks at radio energy. I printed out captures of before the vehicle was started, while the Yukon was started, and after it had been turned off. The capture clearly showed the Yukon's WiFi running and a large amount of RF interference when ever it was started. Even with the overwhelming evidence that the radio was still on and causing interference the dealer offered little help.

Yukon Turned Off

Control.jpg

Yukon Turned On

Bad.JPG

If anyone can give me some advice on what to do next it would be much appreciated. Replacing the phone system would not be a simple task. It is a business pbx that would cost thousands to replace. Also, this is not a WiFi issue in general. The WiFi test shows 20+ wireless networks in the area and we do not have a single issue with any of them. The phone issue only appears when the OnStar device is running. I don't think simply replacing the Onstar device would resolve anything since we have tested other OnStar devices and they all do the same thing. Typically a wireless device with nothing attached to would generate very little traffic, but for some reason All of the OnStar WiFi devices so far show a lot of activity and interference.

My questions are as follows

1. Since it is illegal for any device to cause undesirable interference with the 2.4GHz band, most wireless devices have the ability to be turned off. You can shut the wifi and bluetooth off on your cell phone, laptops have airplane mode, and etc.. Has anyone heard of the OnStar WiFi option being disabled? (Disabling WiFi in the infotainment center does not do this) This would be the best answer for me. Even though I will never use it, the next person to own it could turn it back on if they wanted to.

2. The only option they offered was to remove the Onstar device completely. I personally don't have any use for the services, but have concerns that this will impact my compass, navigation system, and cause errors to display on the dash. I did not spend 70k to drive around with nothing working and a bunch of errors. Does anyone know what pulling the OnStar is going to disable on the Yukon?

3. Could the WiFi OnStar device be pulled out and replaced with another? (without the WiFi option) This might possibly allow the compass, gps to still work?

Thanks!!!!!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only way to "truly" disable it is to unplug the module and it should not give you any errors that I know of it hasn't for others on older trucks, but there is only one way to find out, I am not sure where the module is located on your year in the past they have been located under the ac control, behind the glove box, and some I think in the rear quarter panel, you may have to google to find out where it is and then just unplug it and see how it goes, another person asked about this same thing before because he worked around explosives and the signal was a potential hazard so he had to have it unplugged, that's the only way too truly turn it off

OP
OP
Yukon Forum

Yukon Forum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It really surprises me that the wireless can not be turned off, but it is what it is I guess. I can think of a lot a reasons it should have the option of being shut off. The newer OnStar devices have been a pain to remove, but sounds like it is worth a try. My wife had a 2012 Acadia and OnStar scared the crap out of her so badly that she insisted it be removed. (That was back when an operator would just start talking to you over the system and take over your car) When I removed that one the dash filled with service code errors. I had to buy a third party device that jumped some pins to correct.

GM wants me to sign my life away before the removal and then pay them for the privilege. If the dealer removes it, will they be be doing anything other than pulling the vcim? For example will they reprogram/replace anything that would be better than me just removing it myself?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really surprises me that the wireless can not be turned off, but it is what it is I guess. I can think of a lot a reasons it should have the option of being shut off. The newer OnStar devices have been a pain to remove, but sounds like it is worth a try. My wife had a 2012 Acadia and OnStar scared the crap out of her so badly that she insisted it be removed. (That was back when an operator would just start talking to you over the system and take over your car) When I removed that one the dash filled with service code errors. I had to buy a third party device that jumped some pins to correct.

GM wants me to sign my life away before the removal and then pay them for the privilege. If the dealer removes it, will they be be doing anything other than pulling the vcim? For example will they reprogram/replace anything that would be better than me just removing it myself?
good question I don't know the answer to that, I would start with the simple stuff though like pulling the onstar fuse to see if it at least deactivates the wifi
https://www.wikihow.com/Deactivate-Onstar

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yukon Forum

Yukon Forum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

All the units I have pulled in the past have always had two antennas and that was before WiFi. The blue connector is the cellular antenna and the brown one was GPS. It would be my guess that neither the Bluetooth or WiFi have external antennas. You did bring up a good point regarding the fuse. I did have a dealer suggest pulling the fuse at one time, but the one he suggested did not work. The manual does not indicate which fuse the Onstar is on and when I looked into it several months ago, someone suggested the same fuse ran the infotainment center and I stopped looking any further. It is worth looking into before I rip out the dash! :)

Thanks!!!!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like it may be right behind the radio, you may not have to disconnect all 3 to disable the wifi signal, it will be one or both of the lg module

OP
OP
Yukon Forum

Yukon Forum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That was my guess as well. It seems like I remember seeing it when I pulled out the dash out a while back.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my guess as well. It seems like I remember seeing it when I pulled out the dash out a while back.

Thanks for all your help!!!
if the round antenna's don't drop the signal then I would pull 1 harness off at a time on the lg module until it disables it I would think it wouldn't give you any errors it just simply wouldn't allow the wifi to work., that way you can still have Bluetooth theoretically anyway.

OP
OP
Yukon Forum

Yukon Forum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am not sure that the Bluetooth isn't part of our problem. We don't use Bluetooth so it would not be missed, but Bluetooth and WiFi both use the same 2.4GHz band. The above graph displays high interference on wireless channel 11 on the right side, but it also shows interference in the whole range. Wireless interference often has visual signatures that indicate what the culprit is. The hump/mounds are a clear signature of a WiFi network. However, some of the interference on the Yukon indicates a light signature of Bluetooth. Bluetooth interference looks more like an upside down saw blade with very long teeth. I didn't notice this at first until I started testing other OnStar devices. We personally own a new 2018 Equinox that my wife drives and on that device the Wifi interference is not quite as bad, but the entire range shows more excessive Bluetooth interference. Both vehicles will cause static on the phone system when running. It is possible the interference is being caused by Bluetooth instead which has been another fear. If the infotainment center device has a Bluetooth radio as well, we could have issues with the phone system after the Onstar device has been removed. I have no issues losing the OnStar features, but I would have zero tolerance to disable the entire infotainment center. No radio, backup camera, nav, and the rear dvd player would be very upsetting. You can shutoff the WiFi on the infotainment center, but I am pretty sure there is no option to shut off the Bluetooth.

I still can't believe that GM would not have an off switch for these radios!!!!! Someone needs to find the designer and kick them right square in the crotch as hard as they can! :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr