Mals' 2005 Yukon Denali Maintenance / Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
We don’t want to hold for anything..... do it and then post a pic lol

OP
OP
mals

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok @kwOH, I've back filled in all the posts on the front page.

I'll do my best to document future work in real time from here on out.

Last edited:

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great work so far. Keep up the progress. Your build thread is the perfect place to show off anything you do, be it what may seem trivial or super detailed. Have fun.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Always exciting to see another build thread. The kon is looking good. Like your wheel choice better than what was on it before.

OP
OP
mals

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to do a little prep work this weekend to help my complete brake system overhaul go a little smoother next weekend.

I got the Yukon up on jack stands, got all four wheels off, and have started soaking every nut, bolt, and coupling I plan on touching with penetrating oil.

I also decided to pull apart the back drums to make sure everything would come apart without breaking. If so, I wanted to order the parts now so I'd have them on hand for reassembly.

Driver's Rear:

2017-11-19 16.02.26.jpg
(A lifetime of salty winters really wasn't kind to the rear backing plate on this one)​

Passenger's Rear:

2017-11-19 16.27.40.jpg
(This backing plate is mostly being held on by rust scale)
I was able to brake all four of the bolts that hold the emergency brake plate on loose on both sides this evening. Hopefully with a little more penetrating oil down the threads they will come out without incident, and I can slip the new backing plates in place and start the process putting all these pieces back together after Thanksgiving.

I also decided since I had the rear calipers off, and the new NNBS calipers on hand, I'd clean them up and prep them for paint. I'm going to black out the brackets and calipers to blend in with my coated rotors.

Rear Calipers & Brackets after removal:

2017-11-20 15.29.47.jpg
(Stained with penetrating oil not leaking brake fluid)​

NNBS Front & NBS Rear Calipers & Brackets Prepped for Paint:

2017-11-20 18.59.43.jpg
I'm going to hit these with a few coats of Rustoleum High Heat Primer and Black Caliper Paint over the next few days.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided to do a little prep work this weekend to help my complete brake system overhaul go a little smoother next weekend.

I got the Yukon up on jack stands, got all four wheels off, and have started soaking every nut, bolt, and coupling I plan on touching with penetrating oil.

I also decided to pull apart the back drums to make sure everything would come apart without breaking. If so, I wanted to order the parts now so I'd have them on hand for reassembly.

Driver's Rear:

View attachment 187139
(A lifetime of salty winters really wasn't kind to the rear backing plate on this one)​

Passenger's Rear:

View attachment 187140
I was able to brake all four of the bolts that hold the emergency brake plate on loose on both sides this evening. Hopefully with a little more penetrating oil down the threads they will come out without incident, and I can slip the new backing plates in place and start the process putting all these pieces back together after Thanksgiving.

I also decided since I had the rear calipers off, and the new NNBS calipers on hand, I'd clean them up and prep them for paint. I'm going to black out the brackets and calipers to blend in with my coated rotors.

View attachment 187141

I'm going to hit these with a few coats of Rustoleum High Heat Primer and Black Caliper Paint over the next few days.
Sweet. Coming along nicely.

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score

Driver's Rear:

View attachment 187139

Passenger's Rear:

View attachment 187140

View attachment 187141

My backing plates on my nbs were pretty much nonexistent, I actually had to grind them basically the rest of the way off because they were rubbing the rotors. Truck had spent all of its life in West Virginia till I brought it to Ohio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345