Major Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thomas Hennigan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a 2002 Yukon Denali with 274k on the clock. It's been leaking oil for 60k miles but I've kept it in check with StopLeak products. However, now when I run the highway at 75+ mph I lose significant amounts of oil, like a couple quarts on 60-90 roundtrip. From the threads on this forum it could be:
Valley pan gasket
Valve cover gasket
Rear Main seal
Oil pressure sending unit
Oil pressure block off plate
Oil pan gasket
Oil pressure sensor

It's beyond StopLeak, I gotta do something. The dealer didn't want to touch it. My longtime guy said it's a rear main seal, but he's old and can't handle it. The third mech wants to start up top w valve cover gaskets and oil pressure switch.

Is a leak of this sicope most likely a rear main problem?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Impossible to say. Adding StopLeak and not fixing for 60k miles and now you have oil all over the place on the outside. IMO, pressure wash the entire engine and add dye and drive and see where the dye shows up at. If leaks that bad, it may not even need the dye to pinpoint. Rear main seal is a likely spot but then the oil showing would be confined to that area.

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago I had this issue on my 5.3 2001 Tahoe. Couldn’t tell where the oil was coming from but it was a lot. Took it to one of the best shops in Orange County and they insisted it was the rear main seal. I told them to start with the oil pan gasket but nope they said rear mail seal. So I spent the money and they did the rear main seal. A week later there was an oil spot in my driveway. Finally convinced them to change the oil pan gasket and the motor hasn’t leaked oil in 120,000 miles.

This is just my own personal experience. Start with the easy and most common, I would say replace the oil pan gasket first! Good luck!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say rear main would be the least likely on your list but that’s just my humble opinion.

get a light and mirror or an inspection camera and try to look at the rear top of the motor for leaks at those gasket points.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have never seen excessive oil leaks from a rear main seal, except for one time where a shop had fixed one, car came in to my shop and the new seal had blown out because it was not installed properly. The oil pan is a larger surface area, around the edge, that can leak a larger amount.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more that I've heard can be a source of a hard to find leak is the cam position sensor. It is located next to the oil pressure sending unit on the back of the block. It leaks down internally and gives the appearance of a rear main seal leak, because of where it is located and where the O-ring seals inside the block. I believe the O-ring is not available separately though.

Additionally heard the same possible leak source for the crank position sensor which is above the starter on the side of the block. That one is easier to see from below. The cam position sensor leak can't be seen without removal of other things.

Let us know if and when you locate the leak source.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thomas Hennigan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We snugged the valve covers and replaced the oil sending unit. Next up is the oil pan gasket and Rear Main Seal. Is there anything else I should get done or replaced while I have the drive line apart ? Are any of the following easy replacements while the rear main repair is underway...

Valley pan gasket
Valve cover gasket
Rear Main seal
Oil pressure sending unit
Oil pressure block off plate
Oil pan gasket
Oil pressure sensor
Cam position sensor
Crank position sensor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members