Major Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean the oil off everywhere that you can. Replace just the oil pan gasket and the other items like the pick-up tube o-ring when you drop the pan. When it's simply the pan gasket and I save you a huge headache you can thank me later. haha ;)

I felt so dumb when my Tahoe was leaking oil and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from and neither could two shops. Someone on here years ago said oil pan gasket and sure enough that was the simple fix.

OP
OP
T

Thomas Hennigan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The shop also replaced the "oil cooler lines" which were badly leaking. This all seems to have cleared up most of the leak. It's still spotting, but not puddling, and not consuming 2 quarts on a 60 mile roundtrip. After cleaning up the engine and doing the other work, it appears there is a small leak from the oil pan gasket. Not sure why they didn't also do the oil pan gasket when they replaced the oil cooler lines. I assume the tech didn't think it was worth it to do the oil pan gasket. Thanks for everyone's help. We'll leave the rear main for another day.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That oil pan gasket would be a lot more labor to do it. Maybe he was feeling lazy and did not ask you, or he was not sure because of all the other leak. The spotting you see could still be old oil dripping off from other spots other than the engine. You can re-tension the bolts on the pan and that may slow it down or stop the leak. Be careful not to over-tighten and crack the oil pan.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With how many oil leaks these things have and how many NBS trucks and SUV's I see on the road, I'd bet there are plenty of GM's running around leaving their mark with oil and lots of well oiled -never to rust- undercarriages. For anyone that's BTDT, have you come up with a clever way to clean the undercarriage of all the oil that's all over?

The thought of getting on a creeper and cleaning up undercarriage by hand is not feasible. There is the quarter car wash option, but unless you have a substantial suspension lift, getting the spray wand all over is also not going to be super successful. Anyone ever seen or heard of a business that does undercarriage clean up?

Adding this to this thread since it's related content (cleaning up Major Oil Leak) and I have a bit of a mess on the under regions and will be swapping engines in the next month in my Tahoe. Thanks all.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can rent or borrow a pressure washer and lift the rig and put on tall jack stands. I have done it and seen it done. Depends on how bad you want to clean under there.

OP
OP
T

Thomas Hennigan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can rent or borrow a pressure washer and lift the rig and put on tall jack stands. I have done it and seen it done. Depends on how bad you want to clean under there.
So, I got the truck back and now the A/C is blowing hot. WTF. Could anything the techs did effect the A/C system?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Got the truck back, like in post #14 on Monday and just noticed today about the a/c or is the truck back from another trip to the shop? Confusing?

Did you check to see if the a/c compressor is even engaging or is not? Check electrical connections at the compressor and at the lines and accumulator.

OP
OP
T

Thomas Hennigan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got the truck back, like in post #14 on Monday and just noticed today about the a/c or is the truck back from another trip to the shop? Confusing?

Did you check to see if the a/c compressor is even engaging or is not? Check electrical connections at the compressor and at the lines and accumulator.
The compressor wasn't engaging. I opened the fuse box and strangely, the fuse for the A/C was ajar in the fuse box just sitting on top of the fuse block not quite pushed in. I pushed it back in and presto.... Cold A/C. Thanks. More strangely, I can't get the $40 can of A/C Pro that i bought to recharge the system to work. Followed the directions but the digital gauge doesn't seem to be working. Some refrigerant went into the system because the can got cold and you can tell its a little lighter but I dont wanna overfill. I'll take it back to Advanced, maybe get a gauge. Thanks again for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645