LT Autoride ZW7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenCasiday

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Tahoe LT with the ZW7 air ride and was wondering if i should convert them back to air ride and get a new compressor and shocks or to go aftermarket

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Tahoe LT with the ZW7 air ride and was wondering if i should convert them back to air ride and get a new compressor and shocks or to go aftermarket
Well, how much do you want to spend? How long do you plan to keep her? Is the current ride objectionable?

I'm of mind to restore it as equipped usually. So it was originally a Z55 suspension?

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had the Z55 suspension (active suspension) and a passive suspension on my 07 Yukon XL Denali. IMO, the Z55 suspension is a much better performer for a premium ride hands down. In full transparency, some folks on this Forum prefer an aftermarket passive suspension.

OP
OP
S

StephenCasiday

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, how much do you want to spend? How long do you plan to keep her? Is the current ride objectionable?

I'm of mind to restore it as equipped usually. So it was originally a Z55 suspension?
It was factory ZW7 Autoride, the compressor and shocks and lines are gone and have been replaced but the shocks are now blown and ride extremely rough, i’m just trying to figure out what my options are, and I plan on keeping it for a long time

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is Smooth Ride, error on my part, i saw a compressor and assumed air ride

Then it's been converted, I would think. The Premium Smooth Ride uses manually adjusting (Nivomat) shocks in the rear, not air. What does a rear shock look like on yours, then?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMT800s with ZW7 used softer rear springs with Nivomat shocks. They had RPO codes ZW7 and G65. There was also a version with just ZW7, heavier springs and regular shocks, those trucks have a noticeable rake until loaded down.

That version did not have air shocks or a compressor. The Nivomats have a larger diameter tube, noticeably so!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660