Lowering 07 PPV question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brom48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve been looking at just about everything in terms of a complete lowering kits. I do not wanna mix and match if I don’t have to, I want the stance and the comfort of a smooth ride! Don’t we all???

Belltech, DJM, McGaughys, Crowns…
What kind of experience does everyone have with these parts?
I’ve been eyeing the belltech 739SP.

I’m gonna do a 2/3… maybe 3/4.
I intend on doing the work myself as I’ve lowered my Colorado before buuuut it was some mix and match bs and didn’t end up so great lol.
Just looking for some insight, advice, past experiences. Anything helps!

also is the ppv rear any different than the civi? Other than the different shocks?

*reposted from PPV discussion hoping I’ll get more traction here

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve been looking at just about everything in terms of a complete lowering kits. I do not wanna mix and match if I don’t have to, I want the stance and the comfort of a smooth ride! Don’t we all???

I intend on doing the work myself as I’ve lowered my Colorado before buuuut it was some mix and match bs and didn’t end up so great lol.

also is the ppv rear any different than the civi? Other than the different shocks?

*reposted from PPV discussion hoping I’ll get more traction here

Everyone has a different idea of what a "smooth" ride is. What's your opinion of the way it rides now? Would you be fine if it stayed the same or would you prefer it be softer or firmer?

There's ways to lower and not change the ride quality. Or, you could lower it and change the ride quality at the same time if you want something changed.

I don't think the rear is any different other than the coils and shocks. Since they're something like 1.5" lower (at least in the rear and not counting the tire height), a coil designed to lower a civi X amount will lower a PPV 1.5" less.

As far as mixing-and-matching, that's pretty much necessary when dropping 3"+ in the rear. You need to shift the sway bar over and DJM makes the kit for that. You also need lower control arm relocators. If you get the rear drop coil from Belltech that includes their shock extenders, it won't work with the DJM LCA relocators. You'll need the DJM ones. Spindles can be whatever you choose and Belltech or McG are the top two options. So, you're gonna have a mix of brands, but it's necessary.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opted to go the Belltech route for lowering, and I wouldn't change anything. I didn't want to slam it, but I wanted it "PPV" low, or close.....knowing I was going to go bigger on the tire sidewall. Turns out I am still lower than a PPV, with the bigger sidewalls.

The biggest thing you can do for ride is get those tires off of there, drop the idea of needing speed rating. Get a tire to drive, for mileage and rain, but ultimately comfort. If you keep that PPV Goodyears on there, you aren't going to notice much of a change after you choose your suspension.

Just FYI, @iamdub brings up an excellent point.......there is pretty much going to be a margin where you are going to need to throw a few other parts at any kit you choose. With this Belltech kit I am running, I am right on the line for needing adjustable LCA's. Only someone who knows these trucks will even spot your rear not 100% centered, with that said I've never had one person mention it to me in person. :)

I daily drive my setup, details in the sig below. I've got 40k or so on that setup.

OP
OP
Brom48

Brom48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

*reposted from PPV discussion hoping I’ll get more traction her
Everyone has a different idea of what a "smooth" ride is. What's your opinion of the way it rides now? Would you be fine if it stayed the same or would you prefer it be softer or firmer?

There's ways to lower and not change the ride quality. Or, you could lower it and change the ride quality at the same time if you want something changed.

I don't think the rear is any different other than the coils and shocks. Since they're something like 1.5" lower (at least in the rear and not counting the tire height), a coil designed to lower a civi X amount will lower a PPV 1.5" less.

As far as mixing-and-matching, that's pretty much necessary when dropping 3"+ in the rear. You need to shift the sway bar over and DJM makes the kit for that. You also need lower control arm relocators. If you get the rear drop coil from Belltech that includes their shock extenders, it won't work with the DJM LCA relocators. You'll need the DJM ones. Spindles can be whatever you choose and Belltech or McG are the top two options. So, you're gonna have a mix of brands, but it's necessary.
Yeah true, “smooth ride” is pretty damn subjective lol.

It rides good now so I’d like to keep it as close to how it is, maybe a tad softer. I feel a few extra bumps I could do without but no biggie.

The way it sits now, the rear is probably stock non PPV height. The police dept. used it for towing various trailers so it has heavy duty shocks on the rear to support the tow package. I believe the coils are the stock PPV ones but the shocks gotta go, just due to the fact that I’d like it lowered, at least to that of a PPV rear height but eventually lowered all around.

Ok the mix and match kinda makes sense to me thenbut you say for 3”+ in the rear? So if I were to purchase a complete kit, say 2” front and 3”-4” rear (belltech 739sp) I would still need other parts?? Why is that? My bad if I’m missing something you’ve explained already.

I suppose my main objective right now is to get the rear down to the PPV height, which I would just need the PPV shocks (Monroe 911545 I hope!! I get so damn confused when nothing is labeled PPV lol). Assuming that my coils are the PPV ones.

oh yeah and thanks for the response!

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the PPV Party.........make sure you get a DIC ASAP LOL

I went with BellTech as well, 2" spindles and 4" coils in the rear. The valving in the OEM shocks make them ride firm; so if you want to smooth the ride out, grab some non-PPV shocks.

My next round of parts is going to be some Monroe air shocks for the rear and bigger sway bars (front and rear).

OP
OP
Brom48

Brom48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the PPV Party.........make sure you get a DIC ASAP LOL

I went with BellTech as well, 2" spindles and 4" coils in the rear. The valving in the OEM shocks make them ride firm; so if you want to smooth the ride out, grab some non-PPV shocks.

My next round of parts is going to be some Monroe air shocks for the rear and bigger sway bars (front and rear).
I got a DIC coming in the mail! Hahaha Hopefully it’ll show up tomorrow! I’ll post some pics when done

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah true, “smooth ride” is pretty damn subjective lol.

It rides good now so I’d like to keep it as close to how it is, maybe a tad softer. I feel a few extra bumps I could do without but no biggie.

The way it sits now, the rear is probably stock non PPV height. The police dept. used it for towing various trailers so it has heavy duty shocks on the rear to support the tow package. I believe the coils are the stock PPV ones but the shocks gotta go, just due to the fact that I’d like it lowered, at least to that of a PPV rear height but eventually lowered all around.

Ok the mix and match kinda makes sense to me thenbut you say for 3”+ in the rear? So if I were to purchase a complete kit, say 2” front and 3”-4” rear (belltech 739sp) I would still need other parts?? Why is that? My bad if I’m missing something you’ve explained already.

I suppose my main objective right now is to get the rear down to the PPV height, which I would just need the PPV shocks (Monroe 911545 I hope!! I get so damn confused when nothing is labeled PPV lol). Assuming that my coils are the PPV ones.

oh yeah and thanks for the response!

The best thing to do is to measure all four corners how it sits now, determine how many inches you want to lower it front and rear and order the appropriate parts. You just have to keep in mind that a 3" drop coil for a civi rig won't drop yours 3" since you're already dropped some with the PPV coils. So, for example, if you want a 3" drop from where it is now, you'll need a 4.5" drop coil, assuming you're starting 1.5" lower from a civi Tahoe.

Most quality lowering coils for these rigs are a little softer, so the ride will improve. Quality shocks tend to generally ride softer, as well. Shocks DO NOT DROP a vehicle. The "drop shocks" are just shorter and are intended for a lowered vehicle. If you lower it, the shocks will be compressed the amount that you lower it. Normal length shocks being compressed three or four inches puts them at or nearly all the way compressed, also known as "bottomed out". At that point, you have no suspension travel and it will ride like a Radio Flyer wagon.

For anything over a 3" drop in the rear (I'd do it at a 3" drop), you need to remove the bump stop and cut the bracket off the frame. Look up the "Free Travel Mod". Also, for a 3" drop or more, you need the lower control arm relocators. You can get by without them if you always drive easily and don't tow with hard throttle. At 3" or more, you need shorter sway bar end links but also to shift the sway bar to the right about an inch. This is where the DJM offset sway bar end links come into play.

For shock extenders: They add 2" of travel back to the shocks. So, if you lower 2", the shocks will be compressed 2" and, therefore, 2" closer to bottoming out. Simply bolting on a set of extenders returns that 2" of travel so the shock has its full range of travel even though the vehicle is lowered. Extenders are good for up to 3" of drop with stock-length shocks. They make up for 2" of drop, so, with a 3" drop, the shock is only compressed 1" and that's fine. Beyond a 3" drop, you need shorter shocks ("drop shocks").

That 739SP kit from Belltech will ride nicely but not be too soft. I don't get why their site says it's a 2" drop on a 2WD but 2-4" drop on a 4WD. The spindles are 2" and the struts allow for an additional 0"-2", maybe even 3" of drop for 4"-5" of drop in the front. They're known to have misinformation, though. Regardless, you'll have all the drop you'd want with the option for more and good ride quality with that kit. You'll just need to do the FTM and the lower control arm relocators and offset sway bar links are strongly recommended.

Again, those drop figures are based on a non-PPV. You'd be getting more comfy rear springs, but the front springs that you have now will still be used. If the PPV front springs are stiffer, the softer Belltech SP struts may help enough. If not, you'll need to swap in some non-PPV front springs.

Hopefully someone with a lowered PPV can give more input on the springs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brom48

Brom48

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The best thing to do is to measure all four corners how it sits now, determine how many inches you want to lower it front and rear and order the appropriate parts. You just have to keep in mind that a 3" drop coil for a civi rig won't drop yours 3" since you're already dropped some with the PPV coils. So, for example, if you want a 3" drop from where it is now, you'll need a 4.5" drop coil, assuming you're starting 1.5" lower from a civi Tahoe.

Most quality lowering coils for these rigs are a little softer, so the ride will improve. Quality shocks tend to generally ride softer, as well. Shocks DO NOT DROP a vehicle. The "drop shocks" are just shorter and are intended for a lowered vehicle. If you lower it, the shocks will be compressed the amount that you lower it. Normal length shocks being compressed three or four inches puts them at or nearly all the way compressed, also known as "bottomed out". At that point, you have no suspension travel and it will ride like a Radio Flyer wagon.

For anything over a 3" drop in the rear (I'd do it at a 3" drop), you need to remove the bump stop and cut the bracket off the frame. Look up the "Free Travel Mod". Also, for a 3" drop or more, you need the lower control arm relocators. You can get by without them if you always drive easily and don't tow with hard throttle. At 3" or more, you need shorter swap bar end links but also to shift the swap bar to the right about an inch. This is where the DJM offset sway bar end links come into play.

For shock extenders: They add 2" of travel back to the shocks. So, if you lower 2", the shocks will be compressed 2" and, therefore, 2" closer to bottoming out. Simply bolting on a set of extenders returns that 2" of travel so the shock has its full range of travel even though the vehicle is lowered. Extenders are good for up to 3" of drop with stock-length shocks. They make up for 2" of drop, so, with a 3" drop, the shock is only compressed 1" and that's fine. Beyond a 3" drop, you need shorter shocks ("drop shocks").

That 739SP kit from Belltech will ride nicely but not be too soft. I don't get why their site says it's a 2" drop on a 2WD but 2-4" drop on a 4WD. The spindles are 2" and the struts allow for an additional 0"-2", maybe even 3" of drop for 4"-5" of drop in the front. They're known to have misinformation, though. Regardless, you'll have all the drop you'd want with the option for more and good ride quality with that kit. You'll just need to do the FTM and the lower control arm relocators and offset sway bar links are strongly recommended.

Again, those drop figures are based on a non-PPV. You'd be getting more comfy rear springs, but the front springs that you have now will still be used. If the PPV front springs are stiffer, the softer Belltech SP struts may help enough. If not, you'll need to swap in some non-PPV front springs.

Hopefully someone with a lowered PPV can give more input on the springs.
Thanks for all the information! You’re the man! Definitely have some part research to get into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14